Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Will be entering Yellowstone thru beartooth pass with next stop in Jackson.

two route options

1, south on 89 thru Moran Jct.

2. alternate is go a little west and then south on Idaho HY20.

did route 89 one before, it was beautiful and would gladly go same way again if the Idaho route is less spectacular.

anyone done both and can provide advice?

thx

mark in MN

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Both roads are great. I have been on these roads a lot.

89- Goes past Jenny lake and Jackson lake. You should take the side road through Teton park. This heads in the same direction, but it's like a 35 mph road through the park. There are great, greatviews of the Tetons going south.Better for scenery.

20- This would take you through West Yellowstone, and Island Park. These are both nice. If you go this way you need to take the side road past the water falls (2). Can't remember the name, but watch for the turn off (left) after Island park. This will drop you east of Ashton. As you head back to Ashton there is a scenic byway that goes to Tetonia ( just west of Driggs) NICE Road. Views of the Tetons from the other side. From Driggs you will go over Teton Pass.Better curves, but longer.You have to take the Scenic byway!

Oh, man, you should take both of them.:action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
89- Goes past Jenny lake and Jackson lake. You should take the side road through Teton park. This heads in the same direction, but it's like a 35 mph road through the park. There are great, greatviews of the Tetons going south.Better for scenery.

:action::action:
I concur 100%

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

i just came back from Yellowstone and did both of the rides. From the park, we went south thru the park and encountered traffic and construction. Took about three hours to get to the Tetons at 7 in the morning, 41 degrees.. On the way back, we went thru Idaho and spent about two and a half hours on the back side. I like riding instead of stopping, so I would opt for the Idaho way. there were good roads with little traffic.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

leonbean is right. There is a lot of traffic/construction on 89 between the 2 parks. You'd also be missing out on another great touring road, by bypassing the Chief Joseph Byway(296), which runs from the Beartooth(212) just east of Cooke City, down to Cody.

I'd suggest this route http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-PP*iEbnFPgSr38KP

Yeah, you'll miss riding down along the west side of the Tetons and Jackson Lake, but you'll pick up a mighty scenic road to Cody, ride along 14(nottoo shabby a ride as well!)and come in at the top end of Yellowstone Lake(great views), squirt out the other side of the park, ride down 20and get to ride over Teton Pass, down into Jackson.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

everyone, thx for help.

I had already planned on the Chief Joseph Byway(296)and would much rather ride than stop.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

To leonbeon:

pls clarify: was the const on the park road; did it end when you got to the park southern entrance?

thx
mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.