Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Yes the old tire dabate. I have run Dunlops for years and have had very good success with the old E-2 and the newer E-3's. I now have 13k on a set of 3's with probably 3-4 more thousand miles left with very good wear characteristics so far. From what I read here on the forum from all you GL fanatics it sounds like the Michelin Pilot GT is the best replacement for the Dunlops. I am tired of the all the noise they make. I am getting very good wear but on a long run I really dislike all the whine they produce. What can a guy expect for mileage with the GT's. Anybody have lots of miles on a set yet? I am a very mellow rider for the most part so I dont do a lot of twisting the right side grip back too far and just try to enjoy the ride. One more ? I might buy a set now because the price is right and keep them for next spring. Or would it be a better idea to get buy 'em next spring. I know about new rubber vs. older rubber. Thanks to all you GL fans. Ride On................ Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

A riding friend of mine has been running Pilot GT's on his 2000 Wing and gets 23 - 24k miles from them. And he doesn't let them get too low on tread depth before changing them.

I am running Avon Venom X tires on my '99 Wing with good results and get 24k miles from them. I never let the tread depth get lower than 2/32 inch before changing them.

He and I have compared the two brands and they both seem to give about the same performance and wear.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

The GT's will be nosier, look a the tread. I like the Pilots better than the Dunlops E-3 :action:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

How in the heck do you get not only 5-digit mileage out of a tire, but 2x,xxx miles???

I'm lucky to get 8,000. :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
How in the heck do you get not only 5-digit mileage out of a tire, but 2x,xxx miles???

I'm lucky to get 8,000. :)
the biggest effect on tire milage is personal riding style (and quality of the tire)

currently, I've got over 26K on the dunlops on my road king

in the past, however, the compounds in tires were not very good at all... I think the orginal bridgestons on my '78 lasted around 6k

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I routinely get 25,000 to 30,000 miles out of a set of tires. Last Spring I pulled a E2 off the rear that had 26,000 miles on it and not quite down to the wear bars (was going on a long trip). This Spring I pulled an E3 off the front that had 21,000 miles on it and lots of tread left (got so noisy I couldn't stand it any longer).

I think the key to long tire life is to purchase good quality tires, keep them properly inflated and ride the bike in a sensible manner.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I run E3s, but I live at the beginning (or end) of the Ortega Highway. 20 miles of 30mph sweepers, one after another, as it crosses the Santa Ana mountains.

Also it seems my throttle hand is a little heavy.

Maybe THAT has something to do with it?? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I run E3s, but I live at the beginning (or end) of the Ortega Highway. 20 miles of 30mph sweepers, one after another, as it crosses the Santa Ana mountains.

I think that has a lot to do with it...:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
rgbeard wrote:

But I have an awfully good time! :)

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
DBohrer wrote:
rgbeard wrote:

But I have an awfully good time! :)

When I rode the Ortega Highway 2 years ago, it was rough as a corn cob. Thought it was going to shake my bike apart.

Hope they have repaved it by now.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My 1200 had E 2's and I got 24000 out of it, They ran quiet all the time. The 1500 I just aquired has e3's on them and the first thing I noticed was the whine and no cheese with them....... heck, my wife, who is totally mechanically illiterate even asked what that noise was. The PO says he thought they have around 14,000 on them, and, although they will probably last the rest of the season... I feel they are crap and will go with the pilots this winter. Seems like some vendors have good sales over the winter. I would hold on and see what transpires.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Can't help but think that the Pilot GT's would humm as well. The tread pattern looks very similar to that of the E-3's. Gotta say though, that my E-3's are humming pretty good now.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Some of the online MC tire stores have some really good deals right now on the GT's. 107 for the front and I think 141 for the rear. That is a great price. shipping was 16 so not too bad. The other dealer had free shipping but their total for the two was 13 higher than the one with shippng included. Have fun in the sun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.