Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with taking videos of my rides, and up until recently haven't had much luck. So, about a week ago I went ahead and bought a new camera that was designed for this type of thing. Now I'm finally starting to get some decent results... Here's a short video of me and Steve riding up Yarnell hill yesterday, taking it nice and easy... After Yarnell we rode to Bagdad, and then came back a different route. I have video of most of the ride, but this is one of the better parts.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I don't know what your problem was before, but this video is looking pretty good. We are under a snowstorm warniing and iit looks like we won't get at any riding for at least the next couple of weeks.

I have a Hero2 camera with the handlebar mount and I get decent vdeo on smooth roads but so many of the roads around here are in poor shape so I get lots of bouncy video as a result. I'm trying to come up with some way of mounting the camera to the body of this GL1800 so it shoots through the windshield. Too many bugs on the prairie up here to have the camera outboard as I wouldn't see bugsplat on the lens until making a stop.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I don't know what your problem was before, but this video is looking pretty good. We are under a snowstorm warniing and iit looks like we won't get at any riding for at least the next couple of weeks.

I have a Hero2 camera with the handlebar mount and I get decent vdeo on smooth roads but so many of the roads around here are in poor shape so I get lots of bouncy video as a result. I'm trying to come up with some way of mounting the camera to the body of this GL1800 so it shoots through the windshield. Too many bugs on the prairie up here to have the camera outboard as I wouldn't see bugsplat on the lens until making a stop.

Regards,
Not trying to hijack this thread, but might want to check youtube's image stabilizer feature under the "edit' portion. Works surprising well for a freebie.
Won't make a rocky road smooth, but takes some of the vibration out of a camera mounted on the bike on a paved road. And it's adjustable to the degree of shake you want out.
FWIW.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Regards,

Here is a fine example of the problems I was having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2roQ6Z3RTE

It's pretty bad, almost unwatchable... The FZR vibrates a good deal, but that really wasn't the problem. I was using a GoPro suction cup mount on the tank, with a 1/4-20 adapter to mount a Kodad Sport Camera... which was a bad idea. The Kodak is almost worthless for this type of thing. After many failed attempts, I went out and bought a GoPro Hero 3 white edition. I did a video with it mounted on my helmet first, and it was a lot smoother. But, I still didn't like it as I move my head a lot when I ride/drive.... I'm always checking the mirrors and watching out for cars. That was a little disorienting when the camera was mounted to my helmet. So, then I thought I'd go ahead and try the suction cup mounted to the tank again. ( I wasn't very optimistic about it at that point ) As it turns out that made all the difference in the world. There is still some vibration, and some road surfaces are worse than others, but it made a huge difference.

I would say mounting to the handlebars is probably your problem as a lot of road vibration/bumps gets transferred up through the handlebars. I still haven't gotten my wing back on the road yet, so I haven't tried it with mine. But, I don't believe there is a way for me to use the suction cup mount on the tank. I could probably do it on the windshield, but then you really wouldn't see any of the bike. I do have a Firecreek tank bag that I may be able to make some kind of mount for.... I know that ob1jeeper made a mount on his Firecreek bag for his GPS and it looks pretty slick.

Good luck with the weather... Hang in there, it will get better!

Hmmm.... Another thought just occured to me. You might want to try the body mount for the Hero 2, and strap it to your chest.... That is if you can't find a way to mount a suction cup to your tank... (I'm not real familiar with the 1800's....)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not trying to hijack this thread, but might want to check youtube's image stabilizer feature under the "edit' portion. Works surprising well for a freebie.
Won't make a rocky road smooth, but takes some of the vibration out of a camera mounted on the bike on a paved road. And it's adjustable to the degree of shake you want out.
FWIW.

HA! We must have been writing our responses at the same time.... funny.

It's always best to get the best video you can first. Then use tools like that to try and make it acceptable... I doubt that tool would do much for the video I put a link to as an example of the problems I was having. Every time you re-encode a video some of the quality is lost.

As an example the first video I posted of Steve and I riding Yarnell hill hasn't been stabilized at all....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.