Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a PC that works when I want it to work, not have to be messing around trying to fix something that is broken.

this thread is several pages long listing stuff that don't work.

I'm a stick in the mud, I wait until release xx.3 is done, and then I install it.

. 18.3 is still a very solid performing OS, and will be for a long time.
some super Paranoid types get all scared the instant a release goes "off support",
but I have never had any version of Linux Mint crash because of some form of malware.

. my sister is using 17.3 Cinnamon and it works just fine.

·
Magic Moderator
4,635 Posts
I'll wait for 20.3 Cinnamon. I have 18.3 and 19.3 Cinnamon saved on USB sticks. I need something that works too. :)

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
I need a PC that works when I want it to work, not have to be messing around trying to fix something that is broken.

this thread is several pages long listing stuff that don't work.

I'm a stick in the mud, I wait until release xx.3 is done, and then I install it.

. 18.3 is still a very solid performing OS, and will be for a long time.
some super Paranoid types get all scared the instant a release goes "off support",
but I have never had any version of Linux Mint crash because of some form of malware.

. my sister is using 17.3 Cinnamon and it works just fine.
Maybe they hired some X microsoft programmers. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Magic Moderator
4,635 Posts
I tried the non beta version of 20.0 Cinnamon, the computer didn't like it and I'm happy with the 19.3 Cinnamon. There will be no changes here I really see no reason to update as what I have works fine. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are still so many reports of things that aren't working right.
it is the same process that all new versions go through, and the reason that they release Beta copies is so that folks will use them and discover the broken features.
it is a shame that each version has such a short LTS lifespan of security updates.

there are a lot of folks who are still using 17.3, in fact I have seen a lot of folks still running 17.1 and I just can't understand why?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,
Mint 20 is now an Official Release as of 27 June 2020
I have a 10 year old ASUS laptop that is the forerunner of the one that I use all the time.
Decided to use that as my Guinea pig for Mint 20....
the install went well, and one thing that impressed me about the '20' install was that it defaulted to the Intel Video Drivers, so at least I had a screen to work with. the older versions of Mint don't do that, they try to install the NVIDEA drivers and when it goes wrong, it is just bad bad bad.

Driver Manager showed two different NVIDEA drivers are available to with one marked as preferred. So, I chose that one.... took a long time for that driver to install, must have had to be downloaded from somewhere.....

Another thing I noticed, this 10 year old laptop has a HDD in it that is slow by today's standards, plus the new ASUS laptop has a SSD in it, so the comparison is not quite fair.

By and large, '20' is working okay, but there are a few wrinkles in it yet.... just can't quite put my fingers on what is going on just yet... a lot of it has to do with my Preferences in tweaking the OS to do what I want.... like Redshift is installed, but the shortcut keys are not setup yet... so that is a Demerit IMO, it can be fixed, but it irks me.

I noticed that '20' does not have a incremental number to the Version, it is just '20' not 20.1 so I am going to assume from what I read in Clem's blog, that for 24 months, '20' will be continuously tweaked and updates released regularly as they are available for use.... and he said that this is an LTS release good until 6/27/2025.

this is what this laptop looks like now, all updates have finished....

·
Magic Moderator
4,635 Posts
I found that 20 didn't like the Dell E6510 and took longer to boot up than the 19.3 Cinnamon that I normally use. My guess is in order to use it I may have to go with a SSD? If they won't work together I'll not switch. I'm pleased with what I have now. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah,
I am back to my 19.3 laptop because it is a much lighter machine ( by weight ) and has a SSD instead of a HDD, plus it has 16gB RAM and the video card has 16gB RAM for its' own use.

it is a speedy little bit of PC, I am so spoiled by it, it will take a lot of severe thumb twisting to get me to change the OS on this laptop.

here is a comparison to the specs above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts