Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, tried to make it till winter to remove the carbs but, NOT to be. Ok heres the question. the manual says to hold carb body so float arm is just touching the needle. the new needles have a little wire keeper that attaches to the arm so the little spring loaded stem sticking out of the top of the float needle is in contact with the float arm all the time. if the carb assembly is laid flat on the work bench the weight of the float compresses the little stem sticking out of the float needle so im sure i cant check the float height that way correct? as the carb assembly is tilted at an angle the float rises changing the float hieght. Am i supposed to try and angle the carb so the float needle is touching its seat and the float arm is just begining to compress the little stem sticking out of the float needle and check the float hieght at that point? sheesh! this is gonna take TWO pair of hands. Also I dont have a float gauge i was just going to use a set of calipers? My clymer calls for float height at .30" does that sound correct? Thanks for any help I really need it. ( I really ,really want to get this right the first time since I didnt want to pull the carbs this time let alone again if I screw it up!) thanks again Mike

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

What kinda bike are we talking?

On mine a 86gl1200 I had to make a gauge that rested on both sides of the carb where the float bowl seals against. On a FLAT surface make sure it is 7mm or 0.28th high.It shouldset right about where the high speed jet is so you will need to remove it to adjust the floats. The carbs need held in just the right position where the float is just touching the needle as it is resting completely in the seat and NOT compressing the little plunger part of the needle. It may seem like aPITA to do at first but after you do one it's easy.

Pat

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

This answers my question abot the spring compression. Upon disassembly I thought mine where set too high (11mm), but if you hold the float where the as you say it is just touching then I measure 15.5mm (GL1100).

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the tip. that s exactly what i needed to know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.