Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Ive been searching throught 100s of alternator posts and cant seem to find anyone asking this question-
On the back of my new Lactrical alternator there is a square black component wired up to the plug (Rectifier?) The alternator its replacing was also a Lactrical, but didnt have the black square thing on it.. Was it supposed to be on it, and thats why it failed? Is the black thing supposed to stay, while in my 97 GL1500. The pitiful instructions say nothing. Please Help!
And Thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That is a capacitor. It is a noise filter and on OEM bikes it is used on bikes that have a CB to keep the alternator whine minimized. It is not fitted on bikes without a CB. It's probably easier for Lactrical to just have them on all models just in case. If you don't have a CB it really doesn't matter.

·
Pwhoever
3,467 Posts
I am assuming you mean this?
Cable Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Data transfer cable Wire

It is part #10 here:
It actually was fitted to all GL1500 OEM alternators. It was to reduce electrical noise in the audio system. It would probably be a good idea to swap it over if you can. I know with some aftermarket alternators like the Compufire upgrade, it wasn't needed. There was another addition to OEM alternators if a CB was installed and I think @RambozoClown is confusung with the above. Besides that black square thingy, there was a silver cylinder type filter that is no longer available. It came on the SE models and IIRC, was one of the parts in the Hondaline CB Kit to install a CB on the Aspencade.
Gas Cylinder Auto part Machine Metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts