Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

That is why if I am told that I must remain in the lounge, that I just drive off.

I never leave them to their own devices.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

If i have to take any of my cars in I usually watch as well.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I always watch... i dont give a f*$k what they say if they want my money.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

I have hung out in a few bike shops for years and some of the owners have been friends so I had complete run of the work area and you wouldnt believe some of the things I have seen going on. The one thing I learned was if you are working on my machine then I am either helping or watching or going somewhere else.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Most of the quick oil change and brake pad shops here don't even employ
mechanics. That's why they can only do basic stuff, fitting brake shoes would be beyond the abilities of their "service technicians".

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

That's why I do as much as possible myself... or take it to someone I really trust. Dealerships apparently make more profit from the shop than the showroom floor... and milk it for all it's worth.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I NEVER let them do anything other then the Oil / Filter change & the lube. About three years ago I did catch one of the local chains, a day after the 3000 mile service change, I was changing a front tire. I noticed that the upper ball joint did NOT have "Fresh" grease on it as it still had the dust & dirt road grime on it. I started looking around at all the steering components & found NONE of them was greased. So I got the receipt & held it next to the upper ball joint (to show the date) while I took picture of it. I took pictures of ALL the steering components & emailed them to the Co. headquarters. Naturally I got the apologetic response " It must of been an oversight".

Then two years ago, My sister & I started a little road trip to the OKC Memorial. On our way out of town at 45 MPH, I had my right front lower ball joint fail (broke). Luckily, there was a side street that I turned on to. Now it WAS fortunate that it happen where it did, Five minutes later, I would have been on the interstate at highway speeds & who knows what would have happen.

I have no idea how many times I didn't get the "Lube" service that I thought. This might have been a one time incident, or it might have been a regular thing. Was it the main cause of my ball joint failure, probably not. Did it contribute to the cause, most defiantly.

I still go for the normal 3000 mi service, But I do watch them like a HAWK.:eyeball::axeman:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

3 years ago i had the oil changed in my durango at one of these type of places. After i left i got about a half mile down the road and my oil light came on, at the same time my cell phone rang. It was the manager from the lube shop calling and telling me I may have leak.

I was able to get the truck back to the shop and after some investigating we found out that the o-ring on the newfilter was stuck on the rack that they pulled it from.

Service manager was very aplogetic told me he would have lost his job over this incident.

During the winter months I still use this place when it is to cold outside to change oil and grease vehicles.

As far as i know the manager still works there.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i saw that on the news ive never personally gone to any quick or jiffy lube type places just due to the fact that I KNOW what 18 and 19yr olds will do pretty much nothing

i take my new van to the dealer i pay 40bucks and have it serviced by the same tech every time they told me once hes on vacation i said i'll be back with it in a week i make sure to give him a 10$ bill personally he does outstanding work and of course like any other dealer his job is to advise me that oh your air filter or cabin filter and all that need changed but i dont have them do it ohhhhh no lol.... i can do that

i do my own oil changes on my bike and my old beater car god i cant remember the last time i changed the oil on my car.....:ROFL:

anyway the point is jiffy lube's got caught now not all of them investigated did horrible work, the young guys at the shop HATE ME cuz i make them work and do DAMN GOOD WORK i dont tolerate lazyness or crappy work its gonna get done right and its gonna leave and not come back thats my philosiphy

so anyway enuf from me have a good day and remember

as red greed says "KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.