Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently had to replace the starter and solenoid. The starter had been turning over very sluggishly and then one day the solenoid stopped sending juice to it.

So once I got the starter and solenoid installed, it fired right up on first try

...that was last night.

This morning, I went out to start her up to go to work. Had her on the center stand and put her in neutral, turned on the ignition, verified the neutral light was on, pressed the starter button and.... nothing.
No click.
Nothing.

So I tried wiggling the ignition key, turning-off the kill switch and still nothing.
Then I pulled-in the clutch and she started right up. Not quite sure what's going on here.
Anyway, I rode her around the block once to get her warmed-up and went back home. I shut her down and went in the house to get a 10mm wrench so I could re-adjust the brake lever angle (I had just rebuilt the master cylinder and forgot to make sure that it lined-up right with the clutch) and then went to start her again and.... the starter spun and I could hear the starter chain turning, but that's all.

I tried this a couple of times and got the same thing. Then I tried one more time, let off the button and as it had almost stopped turning, I hit the button again and it grabbed and started.

So, what am I looking at here? Bad starter clutch?
The motor has a little under 92K on it. I just changed the oil about 700 miles ago with 20w50 (per the manual). I wouldn't think that it would be due to the oil being too thick since it started fine when cold but wouldn't start when warm.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The major cause of the starter spinning but not engaging to crank the engine is using 20W-50 oil. Changing to a lighter oil such as 10W-40 usually fixes the problem. Having to pull in the clutch lever to start the bike waspossibly caused by the bike not really being inneutral even though the light was on. If the bike is in gear or partially in gear the engine will not crank until you pull in the clutch leverwhich is a safety feature to keep the bike from inadertenly rolling forward in case you forget to put the bike in neutral.

Theimage below is from the Honda GoldWing 1980-1983 Service Manual which show what oil you can use in your GoldWing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

I think rightbefore the next oil change or even with the 10w 50 it would beappropriate to do an additive/engine treatmentto clean the varnish from the starter clutch ( sprag rollers). Some argue this might harm the stator but at this point if the stator is in good shape and the rollers are gumming up you need to do the flush. JMHO :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks to all for your feedback!

After this morning's issues, I had no trouble starting to come home from work nor with re-starting after I getting home. Maybe it was a fluke due to having sat for two weeks while waiting on parts.
I think I will run some SeaFoam in it before the next oil change. I may put some MMO in the oil tomorrow to thin it out a little until then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.