Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought a Suzuki Burgman AN650 for a project. Needs a primary drive belt. Did you know that belt is made out of steel? And to install it you have to take off the gas cap and drive a new scooter under it. Seriously it is a big project but I plan on having fun with it. No pressure to get it done. Oh, the Scooter weighs over 600 pounds. Was I surprised.

·
Administrator
25,753 Posts
At least you will learn a lot about it and probably find some other things that need attention.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Burgman's Rock! You are gonna love riding it!

T

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Scooters!!!

I've had a 250 Reflex ABS model and a 600cc Silverwing. (scooter) I still have a Yamaha Majesty 400cc.

I replaced the belt on the Silverwing when I got it just to be sure. The Hondas are a little easier to work on than the Suzuki. I still had to make a couple of special tools to hold pulleys in place while I removed the nuts. (don't read anything into that last sentence. Like scooter neuterer >:))

I like scooters! They're quick and agile, and have great storage for blasts to the store or what ever. Surprised a lot motorcycles off the line with the Silverwing.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The darn thing has as many bells and whistles as my Wing. Power and economy mode Etc. What's that all about? Economy? We don't need no stinkin economy! :)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
How many miles did it take to wear out that steel drive belt (chain?) on the Burgman. Keep us informed of your progress.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Have you priced the belt yet???

Quite expensive here in Canada.

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The belt is expensive between $300 and $400. I think it failed because the filter for the air to the CVT was plugged tight and the chain got hot. Have not taken the engine out yet but the filter was definitely plugged tight and that can not help anything.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
When looking around for a Silverwing for my wife a few years back we came across a pristine Burgman with the exception that it needed a belt.

An older gentleman was selling it for less then what others seemed to be going for in our area and he was upfront about it needing a belt. It was a serious contender up to the point where I got a price on that belt and spoke to my sons girlfriends father at the time, who owns one and is a MC mechanic for Suzuki and Honda.

Apparently there are issues with some of these bikes, SN independent, that that they have "transmission issues" that tend to chew the belts up. He said that these were intended to be a "forever" belt and not really needing to be changed. Some bikes have gone through a few.

The belt here locally tops $650 taxes in. The fix for the transmission is about $800 - $900 with no guarantee that it will not come back.

This made choosing the Silverwing easy and what my wife wanted anyway. It kept the Burgman out of the running completely. It's a shame, they are a wonderful bike and very fund to ride.

Do your research on the issue to held make sure that this belt does not get ruined as well. There are far bigger issues then a blocked vent filter.

Good luck. You will certainly enjoy the bike when done! Very fun!

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I like scooters! They're quick and agile, and have great storage for blasts to the store or what ever. Surprised a lot motorcycles off the line with the Silverwing.

They do surprise a lot of other bikers, especially those ones on the crotch rockets.

Though you would never know it, especially driving a car, but my wife can be a bit of a Hellion when it come to twisting the grip.

She does not drive really fast as in over the speed limit but she sure does like cracking that throttle starting off, going up hills, coming out of a curve, passing cars, merging from the on-ramps... maybe she does have issues! :surprise:

It probably didn't help that I put in Dr. Pulleys racing sliders either. Hahahahaha

God I love her! 0:)

Tim

Reactions: rayjoe

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When looking around for a Silverwing for my wife a few years back we came across a pristine Burgman with the exception that it needed a belt.

An older gentleman was selling it for less then what others seemed to be going for in our area and he was upfront about it needing a belt. It was a serious contender up to the point where I got a price on that belt and spoke to my sons girlfriends father at the time, who owns one and is a MC mechanic for Suzuki and Honda.

Apparently there are issues with some of these bikes, SN independent, that that they have "transmission issues" that tend to chew the belts up. He said that these were intended to be a "forever" belt and not really needing to be changed. Some bikes have gone through a few.

The belt here locally tops $650 taxes in. The fix for the transmission is about $800 - $900 with no guarantee that it will not come back.

This made choosing the Silverwing easy and what my wife wanted anyway. It kept the Burgman out of the running completely. It's a shame, they are a wonderful bike and very fund to ride.

Do your research on the issue to held make sure that this belt does not get ruined as well. There are far bigger issues then a blocked vent filter.

Good luck. You will certainly enjoy the bike when done! Very fun!

Tim
Tim,
I did my homework before I bought it. (I think) The CVT can be removed by just removing some of the Tupperware. Take shocks loose, exhaust loose radiator loose and a few other things. Lift the frame and take off the CVT. I have 4.5 hours in removing the CVT. (Bet I could do in 1/2 next time) Half of that time was running in and out of the house checking my computer how to do things. I will have less than $1,000 in the thing when done and 8 or so hours of work. Fun toy for the money. This belt lasted 38K. About 2 cents per mile for the belt.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Doing something for the first time is ALWAYS the slowest for me, as for everybody I would imagine. Sounds like you have it all under control.

I was nervous when I changed out my wife's rollers in her Silverwing. Took me forever it seemed. Most of that was taking my time and exploring to see how that whole CVT worked, which is kinda slick.

I could do the job now, start to finish in about an hour and a half I would suspect. I don't know about the Burgman, but that is a major "Clean" area. No dust/dirt/oil/grease permitted in that area which is why the filters are there.

Please take a few pic and share... I would love to see the naked workings! :)

Tim

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have GoldWing trike, but I also have a 400 Majesty. You have to see the horizon tilt once in awhile!! The scooter hums down the road at 70mph with two of us on board with no problem. For those who see a maxi scooter and think "moped", you really need to ride one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.