Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took a rear tyre down @65mph two up. Kept it up and didn't spill a drop. Sidewall puncture?? How??? Dunno, there were some kid's looking at it at the restaurant??? But Plugging impossible and inflation goop not working either...Hey when you are moles from anywhere and alone you try anything.

Anyway, I got trailered home. A friend came by, rode my wife to the car and she brought the trailer. So now I am disassembing that full rear wrap around bumper with the Disney light parade capabilities, Chrome guards for the chrome guards and all sorts of sparkly panels. Gosh it is pretty and gosh it would be impossible to change a wheel at roadside!!!! Two hours and I am still stripping chrome, Drag Specialties are SADISTIC!! It is pretty though.....

I have hit a wee snag. Left side..... some PO has put the wrong screw in where the common point for the exhaust hanger and the rear floorboard go. That thing is spinning grudgingly BUT IS NOT COMING OUT. So dropping the exhaust will be a wee bit problematic.

OK GURUS!! Here we go..87 Aspencade....Can the rear wheel be taken off by removing the shocks and pushing the deflated tyre and rim up far enough to drive the axle out over the muffler??? Then I could change the tyre....install the new one on the rim, deflate it prior to installing and reinflate it after. Then I can ride it to the machine shop to get that reluctant screw out and the threads chased.

Or can the swing arm go low enough if I jack the bike up and the shocks are off?

Or could I bore a hole in the muffler to pass the axle through?

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Support rear wheel remove lower bolt from each shock; pull shock back out of way; Jack wheel up so axle clears mufflers and remove axle bolt; lower wheel and jiggle out (assuming you have removed left saddlebagand fenders etc)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

THANK YOU WILL HIT IT AT FIRST LIGHT!!!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Remember when we wuz kids and we got a flat on our bicycles? Just put the bike upside down and rest it on the seat and handlebars. Shame it's not that easy anymore...

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees you just have to go get a bike jack! It'll make the chrome polishing so much easier on the back. I think I'd have to drill the bolt out and replace it, it's just going to get looser and rattle eventually and water will get in and rust the whole mess.

Are you sure there's not a nut on the back? On my 1200 I thought there was a bolt and nut holding the muffler, like my 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

With a bike jack, and a simple lever  of a 2 x 4 ... you can easily jack up the wheel(after shocks removed ) , while bike is up in air ... tap out the  axel bolt, lower the wheel, as much as possible , and if the bike is high enough in the air... wiggle the wheel out sideways... don't forget the two spacers, and assembly is reverse... wiggle it in from left side .. (grease those splines !!)  ,and add the spacers.. Total time.. LOL... the third time is about 1.5 hours..... at which point I carefully wrote it all down for my future reference .                                                                                                   and I have just as much chrome on mine ... a lot of it  (like trailer hitch, etc , does not have to really come off !!                                                                        SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif              

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

My prob is that to change the tailight bulb i have to remove the rear bumper because it has a chrome rail and grill that stops the tailight from coming out from the rear.I was going to drill round holes into the saddlebags so i could remove the bulbs from the inside then i would find rubber plugs to plug the holes till next bulb change.

Another chrome disadvantage.!!!!!!!!!!

:clapper: :waving: :clapper:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Thanks,,,, Everybody is looking at me now.

It was quiet as a tomb here at 5:00 AM and people are starting to wander in for work.

I was reading Brojees letter and feeling his pain about removing all that chrome to do something that should be simpler.

His last sentence about boring a hole in the muffler to get the axel bolt out Cracked me up out loud. I looked up and there were people peaking around doors and through my office window to see what was going on. And here I sit still wearing my Leather jacket as the ride in was at 44 Degrees and I'm still cold. But giggling my ass off.

I too know how frustrating some of the chores we do are.

Good Luck to You ALL and HAVE a GREAT DAY.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

As far as raising the tire and rim, a flat shovel is an indispensable tool. Use it like a crowbar under the tire. Just reinstalled mine last night with the new E-3's. Get to give them a good test drive and break-in today sometime. Yeehaa! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Seems to me that I used a small bottle jack on one side, just foward of the axle on the left swing arm. With the shock bottoms detached and pushed rearward.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Brojees.. Can you hold the inside of the exhaust bolt with a pair of vise grips and drill out the head of the bolt from the outside? It may take a few extra minutes to drill it off, but once removed, the rest of the job will go easier...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You're right, Paul. There's a nut on the bolt, on each side, 17mm wrench on mine, (left side is very close to the swingarm) that goes up against the muffler assy. Those 1 piece myfflers, are an absolute pain in the ar**! The 1500 sure did an improvement there. I just hate the 1200 mufflers. What a bunch of dorks, that engineered that exhaust system!!!! It's bad enough to do the tire job, without screwing with the exhaust as a whole.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well where I am stuck is the left side shock bottom does not want to come out of the swing arm. It moves up and down just a little, but it is not coming out so far. Perhaps it is the rubber spacers on each side of it, but it is solid. The bolt is out, the top is loose and the air line is open. But no come loosey. As long as that shock is there, I will never get that axle centerline over the muffler.

The right bottom came loose after a lot of grunting and prying. But as to the "Pivot the shock absorber up and out of the way" LOLOL!!!! That puppy does not want to go to the rear!! I can swing it front a wee bit, but to the rear?? Hahahahaha!! Can't wait to see where the left one will go if I can ever gat the bottom loose.

So I am looking once more at boring a hole in the muffler!!

You know I had to leave all my tools at home in Venezuela, so I am making do...Who would of thought I would ever need a prybar? Or a muffler bore for that matter....Hmmm Wonder if it will be as noisy as a Harley?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Un oh, I have sunk to the bottom and need to bump this for ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

They have probably not been out for a while and are just stuck on the rubber. If you have the bolts right out and you are supporting the weight of the wheel the shock should pop right off If not lift the swing arm/wheel a little more ( maybe bounce up and down a bit) lower swing arm/wheel and shocks should easily pull back out of way

http://gl1200.free.fr/

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I got it!!!! 18mm hole in the muffler and out it came!! Wee bit of liquid solder on the muffler and I will be as good as new!!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

No actually the bottom bolt has a collar inside the rubber, that was displaced and aligned where I simply could not see it. A good soaking of penetrating oil lubed the rubber up to the point where I could catch the edge of it with an awl and move it to where I grabbed it with a screwdriver and drove it out of my way. The other shock now moves as well after the penetrating oil loosened the rubber.

What a hassle, but the wheel is out and off and I will get the tyre mounted tomorrow or Saturday.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to check then grease the splines before reassembly and make sure you have the spacers in the right place

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
What a hassle, but the wheel is out and off and I will get the tyre mounted tomorrow or Saturday.
At least it will be a lot easier next time!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.