Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have learned so much in the last week just reading all your mail on the forum. I rode a Honda Trail 90 all through high school (1968) and about 4 months ago purchased a 1981 Interstate and believe me I'm in Hog Heaven (woops) Honda Heaven!!!. This is a wonderful Forum, I found you by accident and read the mail every day. I have a punch list of items to take care of on the Wing, Brake Cylinder rebuilds, Master cylinder rebuilds and replace the exhaust pipes with originals, and new rear tire. I have all the pieces just haven't had the time get it all done. The Forum is a wealth of information, Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience so freely. :clapper: Gary, in Marietta, GA

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Thyratronman :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

Dont be afraid to ask plenty of questions. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome Gary, we look forward to your input. As you probably already know from reading this last week, Redwing is the forums welcomingofficial (that'show he keeps his post count ahead of the rest of us)and he doesn't miss a single post! :waving:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings to the best board around. One thing you might want to add to your list is new timing belts. Age, not necessarily mileage, is a determining factor, but if they've got a lot of miles on them they still need changed. Use the search and you'll find some useful info on that.

Good luck with your new Wing!

Hobie

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, Hobie for the Timing Belt Reminder, The previous owner said he had changed the belts before I had purchase the bike, I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look under the covers to see if everything is ok. On the 81 interstate, how long does it take a greeny to remove the rear tire? I need to put the new tire on and was wondering. I need to check the rear end also to see if its needing some care. The bike rides like a dream and start every time, as long as I don't bump the kill switch..that's happened a couple of times, and man does my face go red when I have almost run the battery down and notice that switch....Fortunately, once turned on, the engine kicks over and off I go. Take care all, talk to you soon...Gary

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Thyratronman :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

Dont be afraid to ask plenty of questions. :jumper:

No kidding... I am seriously addicted!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Thyratronman wrote:
The bike rides like a dream and start every time, as long as I don't bump the kill switch..that's happened a couple of times, and man does my face go red when I have almost run the battery down and notice that switch....Fortunately, once turned on, the engine kicks over and off I go. Take care all, talk to you soon...Gary
Gary, it ain't safe to talk about kill switches on this forum, do a search on kill switch and you will see why! If you have any questions about said switch just ask the honorary "Kill Switch Guru", REDWING.

:cheeky1:Talking about kill switches is almost as bad as oil and tire brands!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Thyratronman:waving:Welcome to the best Wing Forum.:)

dean_3326

:12red::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Redwing is the forums welcomingofficial (that'show he keeps his post count ahead of the rest of us)and he doesn't miss a single post! :waving:
Hey englishted :waving:I guess i have missed to welcome quite a few new members :crying:but if you want to take over these duties feel free to do so. :stumped:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Thyratronman wrote:
On the 81 interstate, how long does it take a greeny to remove the rear tire? I need to put the new tire on and was wondering.
Welcome to the forum!!!

I just removed the rear wheel on my 82 interstate this morning. I found it very easy to do and I think one of the reasons was that I removed my side bags first. I too have to do some work on the rear end of the bike, so you might as well make life easy on yourself and remove the rear bags, they come off very easily. (four bolts on the inside of the shells, two on the side and two on the bottom.) I also removed the tail lights from the bags and set them on top of the seat out of the way so I could take the bags inside and give them a good cleaning. (two screws on the inside of the bag and one on the bottom)

Putting a block underneath your rear tire while it is up on the centerstand before you undo the bottom connection to the shocks is a very important step. The important part is keeping the axle on a line above the exhaust pipes so that you can slide it out from the left. I also had to release all the air from the tire to slide it between the brake caliper bracket and the rear drive unit.

I'll let one of the gurus take the lead on answering what needs to be done as preventative maintainance on the final drive... I'm interested in what I need to do as well.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the update on the rear tire removal. I will definitely take your suggestions and remove the side bags. I'm hoping to have some time soon to get all the work done on the wing. Riding the Wing is the best therapy known to man. After I ride for a short time it seems like life is a whole lot better. Well, just got home from watching the new star wars movie. Kinda sad to see an end to the saga but I'm sure that there will be more to see soon. Thanks again for the Info, Gary

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

If you do decide to forgo taking off the bags, half of the rear fender can be removed to provide better access to the rear wheel... the screws are on the side near the licence-plate holder. I am having a heck of a time getting everything lined back up after removing and "adjusting" my rails and everything back there on the arse end of the bike. Everything was kind of skewed to the left after a spill at some point and getting everything back on center has turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I don't have a torch or anything to heat the metal with, so I have been applying the "Neanderthal" process. If you do remove the rear bags, note that there are 2 clips on the walls of the bags that face the wheel for the turn signal wires to be secured to the bag....easier to get back in while the wheel is off than after putting the wheel back on... found that out the hard way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.