Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1. '88 and '89 had an air jet controller, plumbed into the top carb vacuum port, and another (outer) port,my later ('95) carbs don't have. Did you split off from the top port for both controller tubes, or abandon thecontroller (cap the ports) ?

2. My '88 has cruise, but no "cruise control cable" which my manual says cruise control equipped scoots are supposed to have. I just have the push-pull throttle cables, and the choke. Is this normal ?

3. I've got a microswitch mounted to the left carb, that is actuated by tension on the lower throttle cable. It is wired to the plug junction point behind your left knee. This thing isn't mentionedin the manual, and I don't see it on the wiring diagrams. Did you guys have this thing ? Is it for that controller ? Did you keep it ?

Any time, and guessworkyou guys could save me would be greatly appreciated. I'm under some time pressure, anddon't want to go back in here anytime soon. Thanx a bunch. :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

The micro switch it the cruise cancel switch. the cruise cable is located on the front side of the lafet carb on the throttle linkage to the rught carb.
I am currently rebuilding the carbs on a 89 so I have the layout burned into my memory.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I swapped out the original carbs on my '88 a few years ago for a pair from a '95 (how's that for a coincidence?) and faced the same issues you're looking at right now.

1. The controller absent from the '95 set is an altitude compensation system. I used the plumbing from the '95 (which had some hard tube piping rather than the "all hose" arrangement on the '88s) and closed off the connections to the carbs, eliminating the altitude compensation circuit from operation. I experienced no ill effects from this move, but I live near sea level and hadn't climbed more than a couple thousand feet while those carbs were on the bike.

Don't dispose of anything and take a few pictures before you start so you can return to the original arrangement if you decide to later.

2. The '95 carbs had a different cruise control cable arrangement than the '88 pair. The '95 had a separate lever actuated by the cruise control cable. I left the level in place but didn't use it. I continued to use the original '88 approach which employed the same cables controlled by the handgrip (I can't remember exactly how.)

3. My 88 carbs didn't have the microswitch you described. If the switch was on the '95 pair, I just left it in place and taped off the wires.

The bowl venting arrangement is a little different on the '95 pair, but I just plumbed it with hose and used a wiretie to approximate the location of the hard-piped vent system that was on the '88 pair. That worked with no problems.

I worried that there may be some significant differences in the jet sizes and the air jet behavior behavior before I made the swap, but it ran like a top after the switch from the original to the '95 pair. I would have kept them in place if not for the failure of one of the needle valves resulting in flooded float bowls forced me to swap again. That's what I get for not rebuilding the '95 pair before installing them . . .

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, Jack and WLR. The absence of the cruise cable was putting me off. I guess I'll move the microswitch bracketto the '95 carbs if it'll fit,and wire it back up (it's paid for), though the brake switch shouldcancel the cruise as well.

That IS a weird coincidence about both of us doing the EXACT same swap !!

Thanks again, guys :waving:

P.S. Those coolant lines are fun, Huh ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.