Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Starting tomorrow morning my little brother takes off at dawn heading from Atlanta to Phoenix through a long series of rain as he heads west 1869 miles on a nekkid 1981 Honda CX500 that he and I just got done spending 3 hard days rebuilding it and making it minimally safe and fit for the trip.

He's 51 years old and fortunately fairly slim for weight on the bike and used to an arduous outdoor lifestyle.

It's been at or below freezing every morning here so far and a large gob of rain in Texas and Louisiana must be ridden through. Looks like a full 8 hour day minimum of rain for him in the low to mid 50 temps. He's trying to get the whole trip done in 4 days.

Sure it's no iron butt ride but when you get to feeling tough, jump on a nekkid CX 500 at the end of November and give it a try.

I'll be printing some member contacts for him from the helper's directory to carry with through that area in case he needs a helping hand along the way. So if you see him, say howdy.

He will be mostly I-20 to I-10 and then up through southern NM and AZ.

Wish him luck.... I think he might need it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

might not be an iron butt run by their rules, but I'd give it to him. Here's to a safe run for him. Keep us in the loop to his progress

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

And, you wanted ME to go with him? Have you seen me lately? I wouldn't have made day 2. :dude:

This doesn't sound like the same adventure, when you first described it to me. :action:

Hope he has fun. It sounds like a blast. Except the rain part.........

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Gee Rudy, he dosen't even look like you, but with you helping there is no doubt of the outcome. Best of luck & safety. :action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

In a Stuper quick glance I thought I read you were running naked. Cleaned my glasses and read carefully. Whew.:cheeky1::action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
In a Stuper quick glance I thought I read you were running naked. Cleaned my glasses and read carefully. Whew.:cheeky1::action:
Now that's a vision I could've done without on Thanksgiving Day!!:p:p:p:p

Rudy's brother is better looking than him too!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Now it is coming out of the back of that trailer right:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:, seriously, have a safe and outstanding trip. Wish I was doing it.:clapper:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the wishes guys... looks like he gets to puss out of it this time.
The maiden test voyage was a total failure. It just has too many things wrong with it to get fixed in time and he has a deadline to keep so I'll hang on to it and continue the work on it as I can.

Biggest show stopper is the front master cylinder. After we got the busted off wrong size rusty screw drilled out of it and new crush washers on it, it still leaks some brake fluid and apparently the return port is clogged since it wont release the slave very well. Would have cleared that but the mast cylinder is in such bad shape we agreed that disassembly of it would be a one way street what with the glue we saw down in it under the reservoir.

On the trial run up the freeway, it couldn't overcome the front brake drag in higher gears so we headed back. Also the front fork tubes I got to replace the original leaky ones are worse and won't hold air or oil and want to bottom out on the headlight ear supports when he hits bumps so that pretty much washes that out for now.

Maybe when he comes back for it, the weather will be better by then too.

Next time I guess.

Not to make him feel too bad, the GL1000 I was finally testing had it's own set of problems. As in the shifter won't return on it's own and the steering feels like it wants to wander as in possible swing arm bearings or something like that back there.

And to top all that off, as I rolled my GL1500 out of the garage I could feel resistance and hear the rear tire rubbing on the rubber. Inspection revealed that both rear caliper bolts were loose, it had dropped down and was rubbing the wheel, wearing a 1" wide line in the side of the brand new Pilot I had on there. Don't know how long that has been going on. Hasn't worn down to the rags yet so I'm still deciding what to do about that now.

3 Hondas and I can't ride any of them. Must be my day. :baffled:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dang, Rudy, that's tough. I hope better things are down the road for ya. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't ride at least once a week.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Probably better all that crap happened there, and not 500 miles down the road. Maybe when he does come back to get it, I can give him some company back home. This will be a holiday to remember for sure.

You could make your day a bit brighter by selling that GL1000 to me.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

mikef wrote:
Probably better all that crap happened there, and not 500 miles down the road. Maybe when he does come back to get it, I can give him some company back home. This will be a holiday to remember for sure.

You could make your day a bit brighter by selling that GL1000 to me.
It's there when you are ready big boy...

Just got the 1500 rear caliper bolted back in place after reshaping the sidewall of the rear tire for me. Hope it's more aerodynamic now.

So only 2 out of 3 left needing attention.

I'll get at another of them tomorrow now that we are not in any hurry.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Rudy. For the right price, he can come get the '83 Aspencade to ride back. At least its got a fairing!!:action:

I'm sure you can get all your problems fixed soon enough. Maybethe weatherwill bea little better so the ride won't be so bad for him.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Dude,

It sounds like you were having rough day.. Las month I cut down a brand new tire that was only two weeks old....a real bummer.. Aren't you glad that you like to work on Goldwings as much as you like to ride them??

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

you know how much this hurts me to say big buddy.....

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I hate to hear that he couldn't get going on his ride. Just because it's not an IronButter doesn't mean it's not an extreme ride.

Some short rides can end up being a lot harder than long ones. Heavy rain and cold weather sure sounds like it fits that description!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.