Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN TEXAS IN JULY WHEN. . . .

The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest motorcycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and
end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"
You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes! cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and
add butter, salt and pepper.
Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying
boiled eggs.
The cows are giving evaporated milk. Ah, what a place to call home.
God Bless Our State of TEXAS !!

HOLD IT.............there's more....................

A TEXAS BLESSING

Note: If you are not a resident of TEXAS or never have lived in the
humid Southwest, you may not understand the weight of this blessing!

Bless this house, oh Lord, we cry.
Please keep it cool in mid-July.
Bless the walls where termites dine,
While ants and roaches march in time.
Bless our yard where spiders pass
Fire ant castles in the grass.
Bless the garage, a home to please
Carpenter beetles, ticks and fleas.
Bless the love bugs, two by two,
the gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.
Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
in TEXAS , Lord, you've p! ut them all!!
But this is home, and here we'll stay,
So thank you Lord, for insect spray.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Dean,
Thank goodness, all we have in Jersey are Gangsters , thugs and thieves. I was actually plotting to ride Route 66(Historic) next summer. When would be a better time to pass through Texas if not July?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Rich... try the dog days of august... that is when it REALLY gets hot down our way

actually May/June are good, but bring rain gear. although cooling rain storms can be a real blessing

oh, and don't forget windex to melt the dead bugs of your windsheild

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey Rich:waving:,ha ha, I know what you mean about the gangs and thugs, they are only about 65 miles from me in the Dallas-Ft Worth Metro Mess.
After June 15-20th it starts getting hotter and hotter untill late in September when it finally starts to let up. July, August and the first of Sept. are bad. April 15 to the middle of June are best spring times,October to Dec. are best fall times. Sounds like a great trip. Might see you in Amarillo. Believe it or not most of the family and school reunions are held in the heat of summer here, as well as peach and mellon festivals, you get used to it after a while, or just kill over.

Dean

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I was born in San Angelo, Texas. Both my folks were born and raised in Texas, Dad in Sterling City, Mom in Menard. We moved to Illinois in the 50's to help my Grandma with a farm. She married a damn Yankee after Grandpa passed.

I remember just how hot the summer could be in south-west Texas. We'd go down there in the summer because the crops in Illinois had to be attended to during the spring, fall and sometimes early winter.

It'd get so hot that the horny toads were'nt anymore:goofygrin:(horned lizards, ugly little buggers) It'd get so hot that if you had to relieve yourself along side the road(no rest stops) the wizz would evaporate before it hit the ground.:realshocked:It's a dry heat(sometimes).It'd get so hot that the devil himself wouldn't stick around.:cooldevil:

God Bless Texas!

Hobie

BTW, this is a horny toad. I used to play with them when I wasa kid. Roll them on their back and scratch their tummies. They love it. You piss them off though and they can shoot a red liquid(blood maybe) from their eyes, up to 5 feet. No, really.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I was born in San Angelo, Texas. Both my folks were born and raised in Texas, Dad in Sterling City, Mom in Menard. We moved to Illinois in the 50's to help my Grandma with a farm. She married a damn Yankee after Grandpa passed.

I remember just how hot the summer could be in south-west Texas. We'd go down there in the summer because the crops in Illinois had to be attended to during the spring, fall and sometimes early winter.

It'd get so hot that the horny toads were'nt anymore:goofygrin:(horned lizards, ugly little buggers) It'd get so hot that if you had to relieve yourself along side the road(no rest stops) the wizz would evaporate before it hit the ground.:realshocked:It's a dry heat(sometimes).It'd get so hot that the devil himself wouldn't stick around.:cooldevil:

God Bless Texas!

Hobie
Hobie, I have been around San Angelo some, the school I attended [Forsan], played football, basketball ect. against Sterling City every year. My dad bought me a go cart in Sterling City in the 1950s.:jumper:

Yee ha

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings, Dean.

Mathis field in San Angelo is named after my Uncles who were bombadiers in WW2. Uncle Jack was killed in action and earned the Medal Of Honor, posthumously. Uncle Mark, whom I was named after, was killed a month later, returning to base in England. I'm going to go ahead and post this so I won't have to re-type but I'm going to bring back a web site that tells about them.

Hobie

http://www.homeofheroes.com/wings/part2/05_mathis.html

This tells the details of their too short lives and their part in the war.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hobie, is Mathis field the bowl? We used to go to track meets there.

Dean

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Actually Dean, it's now the regional airport. It once was a training base for the Army Air Corps. If you want, just type in "Mathis Field" into your search engine and go from there.

Regards,

Hobie

Oh oh. I got to go back to work.

:behead::headbanger::bananas::bananas::whinger:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hobie,Ok, now I understand, yes I am familar with it, it is south of town I believe, we attended some motorcycle road races there one time around 1972. We saw a motorcycle stunt man miss his mark and break his back when he hit the airport runway because the high wind carried him off the ramp the wrong direction. Poor guy, I have not forgotten. Dean

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hobie, Nothing like a horny toad. We used to sell them for 5 cents, they shipped them off to other places. Not sure where else you can find them. Great memories, I believe most of them are gone now. Dean

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Nice one Dean. Always good for a laugh. The weather is exceptionally good this side of the pond at the moment. 30 degrees Celsius in many places. I'm afraid to park the Goldwing in the open in case the plastics melt! :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hey Ted:waving:30 celsius sounds very good,it is currently 37 celsius at 11:00 am here, up up we go till 5 pm. Just another summer day. I do not know if the plastics on the wing will melt or not, but I do know you do not touch them in the sun here unless you want some burned skin. And do not mention the black seat, ouch.White would be the preferable color in the summer. take care, Dean

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

All the more reason to live in the Northwest!

My wife is from Texas, but she'll never go back (if she wants tostay withme!). It actually gets to 100 F here in southern Oregon, but only for a few weeks. At least it cools down at night.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Only 112 here today, suppose to get hot tomorrow!

Just make sure you don't 'Lick' those toads before you ride,lol!:doh:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Dean,
I appreciate the tip. I was thinking about late June when my son finishes school. As for Texas, I've only been there once. I spent a week in Houston one day in Feb. on a flight layover. TOO HOT, TOO HUMID, TOO FLAT. If I ever do set this up, I'll let you know. Thanks:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Justdon't go during "Tornado Season" if your taking RT66 !;)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Justdon't go during "Tornado Season" if your taking RT66 !;)
Hey Wingdawg, your Avatar, it's not rainman is it, it's a bloke from Texas or Nevada, touching his seat on the wing in the summer!:goofygrin:

:madeyes:pete

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You got that right !

I just ride standing up from June to August !

118 on the porch today.ouch, but "it's a DRY Heat", that's the local joke here !

Phoenix.Palm springs and Bull Head City are even hotter! That Stinkin' Palm Springs,Ca is like being in Hell it's so Hot!

Of coarse "Death Valley" beats them all and a few people actually live there?! they were 130 today on the gas station thermometer, my friend had to take a delivery there!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
You got that right !

I just ride standing up from June to August !

118 on the porch today.ouch, but "it's a DRY Heat", that's the local joke here !

Phoenix.Palm springs and Bull Head City are even hotter! That Stinkin' Palm Springs,Ca is like being in Hell it's so Hot!

Of coarse "Death Valley" beats them all and a few people actually live there?! they were 130 today on the gas station thermometer, my friend had to take a delivery there!:goofygrin:
Mmmm, nice, well I think I'll give it a miss just now thanks and pop to bed in my 50odd degree bedroom (no aircon) and hopefully it will be another chilly 80 tomorrow!:goofygrin:

:madeyes:pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.