Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well the 1986 SEI I was looking at was sold out from under my nose. As always I got an education from all the guys that offered up their thoughts. I still am looking for an 1986 SEI and am not fearful of having to search the Internet for parts. I know that in the brief time that I have been visiting thissite, there ain't no problem that cant be worked out. I'm headed out tomorrow looking at a 1986 GL1200.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Retro48, thebike I wasrefering to aboveis a 1986 SEi.

The 87 is a very nice bike as MR1200 states.

I have an extraLTD complete alternator/stator assemblyand rear cover if anyone is considering this upgrade on their Wing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr 1200

Are you picking this one up? Looks good. Might not have quite enough chrome but you can always add.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to all. I went to the site on Ebay to check out 1986 SEI. I see the starting bid is 3K. What do you suppose this will go for? $4.500.00? What is the difference between SEI vs LTD?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks. This is great info. I was kinda scared away from the SEI for a moment because of all the Honda NON SUPPORTED parts. I know I had to get almost all the repair parts for my '83 from salvage or on Ebay. Sounds like the 87 is best of the 1200's.

Thanks for your input!

Dennis

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Difference between LTD/SEi? The color, and the SEi had Dolby noise reduction on the tape player. That's all I know of. OH, the plain jayne "Honda" emblem at back, I believe, where-as the LTD had a "Limited Edition Emblem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Retro48 wrote:
Thanks to all. I went to the site on Ebay to check out 1986 SEI. I see the starting bid is 3K. What do you suppose this will go for? $4.500.00? What is the difference between SEI vs LTD?
Thanks

Dennis
$4500 sounds a bit high. I sold my SEI for $3800 and it was a good one. As Oregonwinger said the only differences were a small badge change and the color. I used parts of an 85 trip computer to rebuild me 86. On othre thing I liked on the SEI/LTD is that it had more gauges, water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, voltmeter. The oil pressure gauge is unusual in that it shows the actual oil pressure and has a sliding scale to show the normal range for whatever the current rpm is.

If worse came to worse and parts did dry up for the SEI there's no reason one couldn't down grade it to an Aspencade by putting in a used Aspy engine and removing the trip computer. There are a few other changes that would be needed but it's doable.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

That SEi on EBay looks nice. Only 47k miles and just the auto-level suspension not working.

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
That SEi on EBay looks nice. Only 47k miles and just the auto-level suspension not working.
Nice looking bike, but it would be a lot prettier if it were repainted Jade Green! That thing will outrun just about any Goldwing except the 1800, might even give one of those a run for the money!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Nice looking bike, but it would be a lot prettier if it were repainted Jade Green! That thing will outrun just about any Goldwing except the 1800, might even give one of those a run for the money!

I knew Paul was still a HOT RODDER........:clapper:

:12red::cooldj:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Very tasty. Would you believe that people in the UK were paying the equivalent of $15000 for used examples in the late 90's! Nowadays they have tumbled to around half that.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Paul said; Nice looking bike, but it would be a lot prettier if it were repainted Jade Green! That thing will outrun just about any Goldwing except the 1800, might even give one of those a run for the money!

...................................................................................................................................

And here we were thinking that Exavid was a leisurely, sedate and refined type of guy and now he shows his true colors.

Green was for go Paul, red means stop. LOL

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wuss these days. Forty years ago it was different. I still don't mind test flying a new homebuilt (that's not scary), but I don't have the guts to push the Goldwing to it's limits. I don't mind opening the throttle a bit but reading about some of you guys in Ireland and England running at high speeds as a routine thing is a bit too bold for me. Scraping the pegs on a turn is an error for me, not routine.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

That's OK Paul, I'm getting old also and the thought of scraped skin and broken bones haunts me more and more, but, I still enjoy grabbing lots of throttle and feeling the rush as the engine builds speed to the redline.

Vic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.