Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all this is my first post but I have been reading for a little while now and I have a question for some of the members who have followed the progression of the Wings from 1200 to 1500 to 1800. I currently have an 85 Interstate and I absolutely love it.

In my opinion the Goldwing is one of the finest motorcycles on the planet. Two of my friends just bought 1200 Wings because I keep raving about how much I like mine. And their wives are tired of trying to balance on those tiny seat pads.

However I am always curious if the "grass is greener" on the other Wing. Is there anyone who could give me their opinion about the 1200 vs. 1500 vs. 1800? Should I stick with what I have or is there some outstanding benefit to migrating to one of the 6 cyl. models.

I am 6 ft 3 in and one of the questions I have if there are any taller riders out there, do you find the newer wings as comfortable or more comfortable than the 1200 to ride?

Do floor boards make much of a difference in rider comfort in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and I am looking forward to participating in the forum.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi beecas.I can only speak for myself. I have highway boards and like them very well for long hauls. My feet get tired keeping them on pegs like a bird on a perch. I have a 1500 but don't know if there is any noticable difference in seat widths from the 1200. There are lots of guys on this site that have 1200s and can answer you.

Welcome to the best GoldWing board in the world. :waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey beecas :leprechaun:A big welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

To answer your question :12red:V:15red: V:18red: The :18red:wins everytime:clapper:. There is no match for this lady in the touring class. :dance:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
:waving:Hi beecas.I can only speak for myself. I have highway boards and like them very well for long hauls. My feet get tired keeping them on pegs like a bird on a perch. I have a 1500 but don't know if there is any noticable difference in seat widths from the 1200. There are lots of guys on this site that have 1200s and can answer you.

Welcome to the best GoldWing board in the world. :waving:
Hi Beecas and welcome to the fun informative site, just to show how opinions differ, Fatalattrction has said that he likes highway boards. Well i had them on my 1100 and disliked them and am pleased to again have wide pegs on my 1500. ( I think he must have been gripping too tight if he felt like a bird on a perch:goofygrin:) Views will differ, and folks have different points of view, based on their experiences and preferences.

I haven't experienced a 1200 , but have had an 1100 and two 1000sbefore the 1500, all have their good and bad points. I think that most would agree, that the 1000,1100 and 1200 are considerably easier to do DIY work on as access to everything is easier, but by the same token, with the change of model, Honda have endevoured to improve comfort and spec levels, so in theory the 1800 must be the present ultimate. There are few disadvantages to my mind to owning any one of them, I guess if i wasn't able to afford the 1500 i would definately still be more than happy with an earlier cheeperr model.

Bide your time , my friend, enjoy the one you have, meet others along the way and change if you want later.

Have fun with the one you have

Pete

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Pete said: I think he must have been gripping too tight if he felt like a bird on a perch:goofygrin:) Views will differ, and folks have different points of view, based on their experiences and preferences.

Hey Pete. You should see my seat.:grinner:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Hi Beecas,

Not driven a 1200 but had a 15 and now have an 18. I am 6' 3" too. From a comfort angle I think there is not much to choose between the two seats but the 18 is lower than the 15 and the whole bike is lighter. Had my 15 for nearly 10 years and would not hear a word against them but I have to say that, in my view,the 18 has better handling and is that much quicker because of it. It also handles better at paddling speed. In fact, now I think about it, there is one big thing wrong with both seats, for driver and passenger:- they do not self-drain inthe rain when they are parked, not even when on the side stand; they just retain large puddles. Would have thought Honda could design the seamsto this end.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet beecas!:waving::waving:

A lot of us think the Goldwing model we currently own is the best. I've had a 1200 and now ride the 1500. I don't think there's much difference in the seat and seating position both felt pretty much the same to me. I find the 1500 to be a tad more nimble at low speed than the 1200. My fuel injected 1200 had a good bit more pep than my carbureted 1500. Contrary to Pete, I think the 1500 is easier to work on, half as many carbs for one thing. I don't find the plastic stuff that much harder to pull off, the top cover and seatexcepted. I suppose if a sack of money fell out of the sky I could convince myself that the 1800 the one I wanted. On the other hand I could certainly enjoy a 75 Goldwing too. They are all great bikes!

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, beecas! I once had a GL 1000 with pegs, and now have a 1200 with floorboards.
The 1200 handles better at very slow speed.
When I bought my 1200, I didn't like the floorboards as the shifter and brake are located differently at my feet. After getting used to the different feel, I like the floorboards a lot as the give me the ability to move my feet around, changing my riding position a bit... Plus, they look good!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I think your favorite wing is the one you keep!:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Last post is right on It all depends on your taste

I have had a 1000 (owned for over 10 years) loved it I've had 2 1100 Interstate and aspencade (so so) and now have a 1200. Now that i have all the bugs out of it (I hope) it's a great bike; much better feel for me than the 1100's Any newer in my opinion is getting to the plastic bubble going down the hwy look Don't look like real bikes anymore(MY OPINION and I'm sticking to it)

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I started with an '83 1100i and now have an '85 1200a, both are great bikes. The 1200 seems to have a little more torque than what I had on the 1100; more than what I would expect with jsut the difference in the engine size. I suspect the real mechanics can tell you things like gear ratios etc. that would explain it all.

Both my bikes were/are heavy when stopped but literally, once you start moving they both handle great. Anything over 4-5 MPH and they firm right up. I've got some personal issues with curves and cornering and an apparent latent fear of the tires sliding out from under me at speed through the curves but have never know it to happen either. (Like I said, PERSONAL issues...)

Best feeling in the world is watching the sun come up over the Wasatch Mountains on an early morning ride. *sigh*

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Ruaidh wrote:
I started with an '83 1100i and now have an '85 1200a, both are great bikes. The 1200 seems to have a little more torque than what I had on the 1100; more than what I would expect with jsut the difference in the engine size. I suspect the real mechanics can tell you things like gear ratios etc. that would explain it all.

Both my bikes were/are heavy when stopped but literally, once you start moving they both handle great. Anything over 4-5 MPH and they firm right up. I've got some personal issues with curves and cornering and an apparent latent fear of the tires sliding out from under me at speed through the curves but have never know it to happen either. (Like I said, PERSONAL issues...)

Best feeling in the world is watching the sun come up over the Wasatch Mountains on an early morning ride. *sigh*

Ruaidh
Hey Ruaidh, nothing wrong with those feelings about the tires sliding, that will keep you safe and you won't be getting yourself into a pickle if something unexpected happens, ( like a stray deer in the road on a bend!!). I too am very cautious, on bends, especially two up, thats another human I am responsible for back there, and you can always meet some twit in a cage drifting around, looking at the scenery or putting lipstick on, and I like time to avoide them!!:clapper:

So far it looks like the old song "Love The One You're With"

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best Goldwing site available.

As to which is best its down to the owners choice. When i brought my 1500 (cant comment on the 12 or 11's) I thought it was the bees knees. Then like a mug I had a ride on an 1800 and was instantly in love. Love the 1800 to bits (cracked frame and all) but i reckon it will be down to what each person is riding at the time

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

Welcome the the best internet site on the web!

I've only had my 87 1200I since Jan and have put 9000 mile on it, I've owned other dressers too. I am around allot of guys here that have owned 1200's, 1500's and now have 1800's. The one big differance they tell me about the 1200 and 1500 is the heat factor, the 1500 and 1800 does a better job getting the heat away from the rider in the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1200a I was looking for a 85 LTD, 86 Sei, or an 87 Aspencade. I found the latter. While I respect the 1500, personally I simply have never liked it. I really cannot define why, but different strokes.

The 1800 is simply too pricey still and I do not like the saddlebags and trunk, Remote control on a bike? Give me a break!! But I love the ride and the handling. I am anxiously awaiting the 2000 unveiling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.