Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a 1500SE with a aftermarket windshield onit. The guy I bought it from replaced it with the larger permanent one verses the factory adjustable. I want to know from those of you that have rode with both what your feelings are on this one verse the factory installed with the vent.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

It looks like a Tulsa style windshield. I have a Tulsa windshield on my 88 and love it! I've never had a motorcycle with a windshield and this one is it for me!!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

double:blackstuff::blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Loved mine too............til I had to ride in the rain at night. Then it was impossible to see thru!

Am now a died in the wool supporter of looking OVER instead of thru a windshield and I have a Windbender.

If you don't mind looking thru it and don't ride at night, then you'll probably be verrrrry happy with it - just as I was.

Great looking new bike, ya got there.

T.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

tnoort
Pardon me but can you explain what a windbinder is.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wow, someone asking for an opinion, luckily I just happen to have one I can spare.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

Personally I wouldn't want to ride a motorcycle with a windshield that I couldn't easily see over. There have been many times when the windshield on a bike I was riding suddenly became more or less opaque. In the mountains, especially in fall and spring you can go over a dip in the road and the windshield suddenly fogs over due to temperature changes. I've had a truck throw a gob of mud on the windshield on a rainy day on the freeway. Light rain can be a curse too when it's too light to run off quickly. I like the windshield to be low enough that I can see the ground over the top about 50-60' ahead without having to stretchto see over it. There are a couple of options, one would be to cut the Tulsa down to a much lower height or replace it. There are several different windshields on the market. I bought a Cee Bailey for my 1500 and was very pleased with it. I ordered it at stock height but ended up cutting about 1 1/2" off the top. That worked out just right for me. My 1800 has a stock windshield which is probably about 3/4" higher than I'd like. I'd cut it down but will soon be ordering a new one instead. Vents are something some like a lot, I've never thought they made that much difference.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+ however many where at for shield beeing no higher than eye level.
when I got my 1500 cpl month ago it had a windscreen much like your's. I toke it for a ride in the evenning and got onto a 4 lane. the sun dropped and my lane disapeared due to construction. I flew blind at a very large flashing sign telling me I was in deep $hit. I had to bully a car out of his lane "not a fun thing to do" To miss sign.
I cut 6" off the windshield the next day. not quite enough but it works. I also found the tall windshield very clostophobic. Not shure why yours would not ajust. The ajustment is not very much 3/4 inch perhaps
Wilf

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

from the looks of the one you have now, it looks like it is down all the way in your picture so adjustment would only go up anyway...i had a tulsa like that this spring, seemed to catch a lot of wind more than other shields at least to me...mrs said it gave her a lot of turbulence around her head...we have used memphis shade stock height shield and liked it, now have slipstreamer replacement with vent, like it too and and co rider doesnt hardly get any wind on her most of the time...hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I agree that one should be able to see over it and not through it. I cut mine off, and couldnt be more happy with it. What is shown in the picture is a tulsa...i dont like them because one cant see over it...when the sun hits it right it becomes a wall, same as when you ride in the rain, especially when there are oncoming headlights. I have a bit of night blindness, so seeing over the windshield is very helpful. But some guys love them. You will get many opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Why is looking through a helmet screen or a windshield much different in the rain? Rain-ex works wonders in the rain.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I can live with the rain. but the glare at night is dangerous
Wilf

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I have one that is identical to the one that you have and I really like mine. If you have 20 replies to this post you will probably have 15 different responses. It really depends on how YOU like it, not everyone else.

I will not ride at night unless I have to (too many deer around here) and always clean the windshield at every gas stop. I have had times in the mountains were it will briefly fog, but I like the fact that most everything "thrown" at you from mother nature (wind, rain, dust, grasshoppers, etc.) goes over my head and not in my face.

But like I said earlier, it is your opinion and riding style that matters the most. If you just bought the bike, try it for a while and see what you like. If you don't like it you can cut it, order a new one, or more than likely find someone to trade it to.

One caution that I have is that the Tulsa seems to like to scratch unless you use a very non-abrasive cleaner and cloth. I have always used Novus cleaner with a microfiber or terry-cloth towel.

Put some miles on her and find out what you like. Have fun!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One difference with a helmet shield compared to a windshield is that you can flip up the helmet shield if it fogs up. Another is that water on a screen closer to your eyes doesn't obscure vision as much as water on a screen farther away. I often stand up on the pegs to let the wind blastoverthe windshield blow the water off my face shield on my helmet, you can't do that as easily or at allwith a Tulsa.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

I too like the option of being able to look over depending on the situation. I like to drive in all kinds of conditions and there have been many times that I needed to be able to see over it. I have a Memphis Shades windshield and really like it. It seems sturdier, maybe a tad thicker than stock but is still fully adjustable. I can raise it up so I have to look through it or can lower it and look over it when I need to. It seems to be holding up well. I got the one with a vent and got it HERE.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Are you happy with your seat height? If not, adjust that first using cushions or different seat, etc. Then go to the windshield. The vent you asked about can be purchased aftermarket and installed.

I've been slowly working my way through this same process. Once I get the seat where I want it, I plan to cut the windshield (a Tall Tulsa) so I can just see over it when it's in the down position. My theory is that I'll be able to raise it and look through it when the need arises.

Good luck and enjoy the wing! Just remember what you paid for all these opinions...:congrats:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I hate the tall wind screens. To close to my forhead. Stop to fast and it's apache time :D I have a wind bender on mine and does a great job. Also i do not like looking through the windshield as it distorts your vision.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I've never been a fan of those tall windshields.

If you ever have hadto ride in the rain, at night, or a combination of both, whether planned, or by accident, then you'll very quickly reaslize just how dangerous those tall windshields are.! :shock:

No matter how careful you are in cleaning them, they will still end up with scratches/swirls in them and they refract the light, making it darn near impossible to see through in lower light and wetconditions when you need it the most.

Myself, (6' - 240lbs - 34" inseam - 21 1/2" torso).... I use a Cee Bailey's shield that is tinted a light grey, 2" under stock height, has theOEM style ventand I find it provides better protection/less buffetting for the rider (don't know about the passenger area) than the stock shield, as the CB is wider.

Before- Stock Shield After - Cee Bailey's Shield

Dusty

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

its all about what you like, i like how the tulsa looks on the 1500s but i dislike that you can't see over it when it rains although i have never riden with a tulsa on the rain i guess is just like every other windshield

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I had the tulsa tall on my 1500 and I thought that I liked it but after riding my new 1800 with the stock shield on it I will never have another that I can't look over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.