Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let it be known first and foremost I have nothing against the Police. I was on my way up to Gatlinburg Tn the day before evacuation started for some Florida residents do to threat of hurricane . I had the trip booked from work since last November. I was riding very nice back roads in Georgia, when I came to the top of a hill they had 6 cop cars ( 3 on each side ) and a dozen cops. Crazy check point. All they wanted was to check expiration date on driver's license. I was polite but let the cop know I have never heard of this. His reply was well
you are not in Florida and if would make you happy I am sure I can find a reason to give you a citation. Was I wrong to feel some what violated?

·
Administrator
25,549 Posts
As I understand it they have to give notice of check points. It may have been in the local paper to make it legal.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Let it be known first and foremost I have nothing against the Police. I was on my way up to Gatlinburg Tn the day before evacuation started for some Florida residents do to threat of hurricane . I had the trip booked from work since last November. I was riding very nice back roads in Georgia, when I came to the top of a hill they had 6 cop cars ( 3 on each side ) and a dozen cops. Crazy check point. All they wanted was to check expiration date on driver's license. I was polite but let the cop know I have never heard of this. His reply was well
you are not in Florida and if would make you happy I am sure I can find a reason to give you a citation. Was I wrong to feel some what violated?
I think so. You were on a highway operating a motor vehicle and it's perfectly OK for LE to assure that you are licensed among other things. While checking OLs may seem a waste of time, such interaction often leads to other things, like DUI, DWI, unlicensed operation, expired registration, even wanted folks.

Timothy McVeigh was stopped for simply no tags displayed. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=timothy+mcveigh+traffic+stop&view=detail&mid=C8C2D1A1B5A8FA63EF97C8C2D1A1B5A8FA63EF97&FORM=VIRE

I was a trooper for over 31 years.
We used to just decide "Hey, let's do a checking detail" because it was different than working radar and let one stretch his (or her) legs. It gave us a chance to converse with local folks who also pay our way.
Then, as courts ruled this or that, it got to where you had to pick the spot from a list of approved sights and call a supervisor. Then if any cases arose, the supervisor got a subpoena to court and had bring a sight plan and radio log showing approval. It got to be a hassle, so guys quit bringing it up at morning coffee.
Then headquarters got on the area supervisors and soon "assigned checking details" started showing up on schedules.

We had requests from local news, but to my knowledge no notice was ever given … unless it was a large interagency DUI CD and a local PD or Sheriff's officer that told them.

We'd get a lot of good violations like DUIs, suspended drivers, no liability insurance, wanted persons, etc. Local folk liked seeing us off the big road. We did them in day, night, heat, cold, but not rain or snow.

One Summer night, Sgt. called me & others to meet for a nigh-time CD in the county, extremely hot, humid, "gnatty night". That vest I was wearing was hot too. We lined up a long line of fuses, to drive gnats away when I arrived, the very first one I checked was not licensed. I took him to magistrate and by time he made bond, CD was over. LOL. I did make it to coffee at Ho-Jos though.

Another time, new car pulled up, sounded like crap, young boy driving, I looked under car, someone used a hole saw to cut holes in his Mom's new car's mufflers. He admitted it when I told him, then started to cry and asked me how he could fix it. Idiot.

Coldest I ever recall being was one December, big multiagency DUI effort, must have been about 15 or 20 degrees, on concrete bridge, several hours. Local pizza place sent a courier with a stack of hot pizzas. I had a thermos full of coffee. Still, my feet felt like blocks of ice. Local EMS parked their portable command post there for relief. But we got some great cases of DUI , etc. One drunk on a shuttle bus (I believe a college was holding a dance or something and had hired shuttle busses to local motels) even got arrested for throwing an empty beer can out and hitting a police car, he went straight to jail. There was like 6 or 8 pizzas, but by time I got near them, not many left.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Im all against these stops. I have zero points and pristine past.
I understand that you will catch bad guys but you'll do that if you go to liquor store and check everyone that goes in or comes out.

I was stopped at a checkpoint about 30 years ago at 11:30 PM coming from my job at steel factory. The guys were very polite. However I felt like I was in Nazi Germany.

I m sure they do it legally but at least they should be very polite with no hint of sarcasm.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Im all against these stops. I have zero points and pristine past.
I understand that you will catch bad guys but you'll do that if you go to liquor store and check everyone that goes in or comes out.

I was stopped at a checkpoint about 30 years ago at 11:30 PM coming from my job at steel factory. The guys were very polite. However I felt like I was in Nazi Germany.

I m sure they do it legally but at least they should be very polite with no hint of sarcasm.
But to walk in and out of a liquor store is a right if of age and if it's during business hours and open. It's up to the "walk-ee" or patron of said establishment to obey laws and not operating a MV if drinking the product. I never lived in Nazi Germany, so I'm not sure how that fits here. Perhaps it's a subjective feeling based on some bias? I was always polite if nothing else … maybe not "very polite" according to your standards, but polite none the less. I certainly never had need to testify in court to degree of politeness exhibited on my part (though I will say I did occasionally get called on by a supervisor to discuss it in response to a complaint … but never by a judge or attorney).
He didnt get stop at a check point, the way I see it
So? , the stop was on a public highway open to all for use, just as is a checking detail. I just used TM as an example as to how little things grow. It was minimally intrusive at first, but things develop sometimes.
It's not like driving is a right … it's a privilege granted after you demonstrate the ability to do so, and it is perfectly OK to review that when a person is seen on a highway operating a MV. TM was stopped because he was driving a car with no registration displayed. As to checking details, as long as the stops are made with no prejudice and with no bias (say, every vehicle or every third vehicle, or 4th or 18th for that matter) it's OK too.

Again, TM was used only as an example of how things can grow.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Big diff, CP. I dont think you'll find a soul who disagrees with someone being stopped for an obvious thing.
I think they have the right to bust in your house if drug activities is suspected pending , videos, drug buys etc. not merely asking everyone to open their doors.
However you see things from a cops point of view and when you get stopped you say"By the way brother, Im a cop too".

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Big diff, CP. I dont think you'll find a soul who disagrees with someone being stopped for an obvious thing.
I think they have the right to bust in your house if drug activities is suspected pending , videos, drug buys etc. not merely asking everyone to open their doors.
However you see things from a cops point of view and when you get stopped you say"By the way brother, Im a cop too".
As to "big diff", I think I addressed that.
As to "I'm a cop too" remark …
… I got 9 tickets between 1970 and 1977, was suspended once for 60 days (and did not drive in those 60 days) in about 1973 … I liked fast cars.
... then in 1978 I got on with the state.
In 2008 I was stopped for 35 in a 25 zone in Guthrie, Texas, I never volunteered my avocation. I listened as he started to explain his radar when I interrupted him to say "I don't doubt your equipment but where did the limit drop to 25?" He laughed, said he was at the sign when he saw me. I said "Oh" (I knew exactly where he was, just never saw the sign, I think maybe there was a shrub behind his car) He sent me on my way after he wrote a warning out (I still have my copy) as I was trying to keep up with a fast melting vanilla ice cream cone I just had gotten at Dairy Queen before he stopped us. It was a hot day in west Texas.

That's it, it's easy to recall as it's the only time since 1977 that I have been stopped (period - dot).

But I know of this you speak, had it done to me a few times from other agency folk. I've seen it have an undesired effect. I didn't like it and my Dept. heads took a dim view of it, a very dim view.

But enough about me.

Later …. :wink2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I'm different. I am not a LEO and never have been. But, I appreciate the people doing check points. I like to know there is an effort to keep idiots, drunks, uninsured/uninsurable, and unlicensed people off the road. Way too many people out there driving who shouldn't be. When I go through a check point, I thank the LEO for checking just like I thank the bank teller who checks my ID..... Jim

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I was stopped on the 1800 at a check point outside Bryson City, NC. It was just starting to rain. The officer expedited me through, but I was sad that he had no rain gear on, and right after I passed they had a cloud burst. I don't mind check points at all. I don't slow down when I see a police car. Either I'm legal, should be stopped, or they have a valid reason to check. TV and the liberal media have driven too big a wedge between the public and law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
I had one episode that sticks out every time I drive by. Twenty or so years ago we were holding a CD there, site has good sight distance (over 1/2 mile each way), flares out (well before stop area), I had my hiviz safety vest on, we had our cars with blue strobes going, etc. HD MC stopped, and as I approached him I saw a car coming from behind him but not slowing much if at all. I just yelled as loud as I could, "GO" … several times as I was near beside him and trying to get the cars driver's attention. He let the clutch out and the HD lurched forwards just as the car's driver realized what was going on & hit the brakes. Car hit the back of the HD, but not as bad as it could have been. Lady in car was crying, said she just left her husband after catching him "doing the nasty" (her words, not mine), she was so apologetic. Guy on HD and she exchanged insurance info, my supervisor came up to work wreck. When done, HD rider left riding his HD. Could have been worse. Guy on HD told my supervisor that I was brave standing there waving the car off, I told supervisor that the thought of running didn't occur to me, but that if it had I would have post haste skeedaddled.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to various folk I encountered over the years. Some I know did well, some not so well, most I have no idea.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As a long haul driver for many years I have had my share of checkpoint stops and one thing I have found for certain is you get back what you project. I have always been polite to the police and with a few rare exceptions (In Georgia ironically) most were polite back to me. Even when I knew I was speeding and I was probably going to get a ticket I was polite. The cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going and there is no sense in lying, I was doing 75 in a 60 so I told him. He asked why and I told him I wasn't really watching the speed, it was very early in the morning and there was nobody on the road but me and the truck was just comfortable at that speed and that was what I told him. No lies, no excuses. I got a warning and a thanks for being polite and honest.
I think what the cop said to about "finding something wrong" was totally wrong but that was my experience in Georgia also, several times and I have heard that from many others.

·
Administrator
58,944 Posts
I've been in a few check point stops over the years.
Have family in the LEO business and friends also.

I try to smile, be responsive, and keep my hands at 10 and 2 o'clock position until he says to do otherwise.

Always had a respectful conversation.....

On one instance, on my 1800, I handed over my DL and CCW and mentioned it was in the trunk. He said " I don't care where it is, just leave it there".

Mentioned that my trailer was riding over the center-line, and sent me on my way.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I had a friend who was all for " sure officer if you want to check my trunk go right ahead"
People like that do not understand how it works. If everyone would say that and there is my turn and reply with " What is you reason ,sir, for wanting to check my trunk"
the cop would be all over me, bringing his dogs, who at a command will jump on my car and "indicate "presence of drugs. Then 3 hrs later they will let me go for finding nothing.
KNOW YOU CIVIL RIGHTS AND PROTECT THEM otherwise you will pay the price.
This sounds like I hate cops, to the cop lover. I dont love them, and I dont hate them. They do they job for a paycheck and very few are heroes just like the private citizen. They are no better or worse.
This is my last comment on this thread

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
LOL, I understand.

Since you mentioned searches, I rarely asked for consent to search that which I didn't already have ample articulable probable cause (not just suspicion) to search. It just seemed to smooth things out, but if I had PC, even if they said "no", I searched. Like lots of questions I asked, I already knew the answer to them, but I asked anyway, a way to include them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
THAT is one area I have a problem with, illegal search. Especially here in NJ in todays times. If I am going to the range with my guns, which are all legal, and they search my car they WILL confiscate all of the guns. No questions asked, they will just take them and then it is up to me to try to get them back which by the time I get all the proper paperwork it is likely I will find that some of them have "gone missing". If I say no to a search and they do it anyway then they cannot use that search in court and they are also held liable for anything that "goes missing". So in my case, as much as I used to have no problems with cooperation I will say no to a search even though I know I am clean. Lets just say there are NO republican cops in NJ, They are under orders that way.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I support CrystalPistol comments 110%......!!

My LEO nephew identifies many issues (including drug, alcohol, expirations, no legal right to drive, etc.) when doing routine (or checkpoint) stops. Many that would never be identified otherwise...!!

And yes, he got a ticket on a highway in my area. He paid the ticket and requested no favors due to being an LEO.......!!

There is "too much negativity" toward LEO folks these days....!!

Thanks for your service CrystalPistol........!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
THAT is one area I have a problem with, illegal search. Especially here in NJ in todays times. If I am going to the range with my guns, which are all legal, and they search my car they WILL confiscate all of the guns. No questions asked, they will just take them and then it is up to me to try to get them back which by the time I get all the proper paperwork it is likely I will find that some of them have "gone missing". If I say no to a search and they do it anyway then they cannot use that search in court and they are also held liable for anything that "goes missing". So in my case, as much as I used to have no problems with cooperation I will say no to a search even though I know I am clean. Lets just say there are NO republican cops in NJ, They are under orders that way.
That made the politicians happy since crossing any bridge into NJ is free but you have to pay a toll to get back out of the state, and the tolls are NOT cheap!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts