Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking I'd like to get a 1500 and in my search I can across a 1996 SE, priced right, extra goodies,looks cared for in the pics he sent me. My concern is that it's a rebuilt title. It was rebuilt in 1997 at a Honda dealer when his Dad bought it. Says it has a new frame and he has all reciepts. I guess a new frame is better than one bent back into shape. And he has kept it for 12 years so I guess it must not have given him any trouble. I tend to avoid wrecked autos for sale so I'm a little hesitant to drive 4 hrs to check this out closer. But it is so pretty! Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I can understand your hesitation as I would share the same concerns. You will also get the same reaction from buyers if andwhen you sell the bike should you go ahead on this purchase.

On the other hand it appears to have passed the test of time.

You need the opinion of someone you trust with your life, who is technically able to give you the assurance the bike will be OK. If you can get that OK then go for it.

If you will always be nervousI would suggest passing on the deal.

You already have an emotional tie to the bike: "But it is so pretty." This means you will not be making a rational decision. Take someone along that has no interest other than evaluation.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it may be OK...But if you do go to look at it.....give the frame a special look over...Check all the paperwork to see if in fact the frame was a new one...If that Honda dealer is still in business ask them if they did change that frame out???? You didn't say how much they are asking ??? So only advise I can offer is go look at it and just give it a really good going over....

Claude.....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't bother me in the least if I were keeping it for myself and might be a concern if I was in transition and planning to move it.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"Wouldn't bother me in the least if I were keeping it for myself and might be a concern if I was in transition and planning to move it."

Same here as I've ran into those that wimp about a salvage title even if it was issued due to scratched plastics.
But really if it had frame problems you can tell on the very first test ride.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Salvage title vehicles are typically valued 20-50% below blue book. The older the vehicle the less the percentage. If you can get a smokin deal on a safe and reliable bike I say go for it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I would not be concerned with it, especially considering it has been ridden for 12 years since the repair.

If it rides "straight and true" the frame is good.

I would just use the title issue as a bargain chip. If you ever sell it, that is what it will still be. Just a bargaining tool.

I tend to ride my stuff so long, it won't make any difference anyway. If it is as pretty and clean as the pictures, then it was well taken care of.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Tell the owner that his price includes a clean bill of health by a licienced Honda dealer or it's a no go. & you want the paperwork faxed to your local honda dealer prior to payment or down payment.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the replies. OK, I went to see it.Tell me what you think. First the good. It's a rebuilt magenta96 SE, 26 0r 29k miles, really clean, everything seems to work, has extra lights and chrome, hitch, helmets with speakers, cover, looks cared for. Been in his family since the rebuild in 97. Now the issues. Think the one front brake rotor is warped. There is a pulsing in the hand brake lever when it's applied. Foot brake feels smooth and strong. Also needs a rear tire soon. Front tire is newer and looks good. He bought it rebuilt from a Honda dealer, has the parts list with a seperate paper from honda about the new frame and frame # or VIN. Seems to ride ok though it sure is different from my 86 1200. My 1200 feels like you ride "on" it this 1500 feels like you ride "in" it. Don't know if it's the lower seat height or what. Will take a little getting used to.

Sooo. What to do. He was asking $7000. I'm thinking that rotor is at least $200 unless I can find a used one, and the tire is going to be around $200 also. I'm pretty sure he'd take $6k just from our conversation. So should I move on it for $6k or keep looking?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't personally give him more than $6200 for it.
Don't worry about the rotor or tires. Those are normal wear items but the guy has to realize the lower book value of the title and mixed parts.
Being willing to take it is different than eating the loss of the title value.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I agree with the Ferret. Offer $5750 and don't agree to anything over $6200. He'll probably counter with $6500, then you counter with $6k. If he doesn't accept, tell him $6200 is your final. If he wants more, just walk away. Other deals to be made.

Just a little hint from Mr. Haney!:dude:

Good Luck!:leprechaun:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I agree with the above suggestions.

The "feel like you ride in it" is just typical 1500 feel as compared to the 1200.

I noticed the same when I upgraded from a 1200 to 1500.

After a few hundred miles, you won't even notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Here is the NADA retail cost for a 96 SE. Use it for bargaining. They use it to low balltrade-ins. IMO, NADA is lower than what these bikes are actually worth, but that is typically what they and the bank uses.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-23-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5698&m=0124&d=1200005730&y=1996&ml=H&gc=MC&gtc=MC

I am sure the bike is nice. I would only be concerned with what you could sell it for tomorrow. If you can only break even in the cost, to me, that is not a deal, it would be just the true value of the bike. I like deals !!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

NADA is lower than what these bikes are actually worth, but that is typically what they and the bank uses.
NADA for my 88 GL1500 is valued from $500 (fair), $1,425(good), $2,900 (very good), $4,450 (very good).

If I could find 88s in fair and good condition at NADA prices, I would be buying them all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

It would not bother me at all but I would go into the deal expecting it to be considerably lower than book value and with the understanding that any sale or trade once I was through with it would be of less value also.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Ins cos trash GWs for tupperware .... Period.

They are so stupid , but thems the rules.

If you can verify original damage, Ins record, officiallty "NICB", not accessible to civilians, short way, they trash all GW tupperware. Only ensure frame. Otherwise is -30% or good deal.

Depends on state. Get a dealer inspection.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I too am a fan of a deal! Bought my 86 1200 16 years ago for $3700. Ican't believe the junk I see advertised every day that's older and they want more. I'm thinking I shouldn't do too bad when I go to sell. But you never know. That's why when I buy I at least want to break even if I have to sell tomorrow. Most times I hold on for a long, long time. There seems to be a real disconnect between the nada values and what I see a lot of these wings advertised for. It's nothing to see a price $4k over book, and the miles are 100k+ also. Do they really sell at those prices? Not to me they don't.

Anyway, I had thought $6000 would have been a pretty good deal before I actually saw the bike, maybe $6250, maybe. But that was before I learned I'd need to spend $400 in a couple of minor repairs. $6000 plus repairs is probably still a good deal especially compared to a lot of what i see out there. It's just not that one that makes you say "cha-ching". Can't be that much down side to a $6000 96 SE can there be?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.