Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How long is YOUR dipstick?? (and the year of the bike)

• 9 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9.25 inches

• ---------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Ladies and Gents,

This goes out to all you 1500 owners. This may have be covered in the past and if it has, I could not find it and I have looked high and low for it so please forgive me if this has be mentioned before.

Now, why in the heck would I ask such a silly and personal question you might ask? Well sit right down and I will tell you a story. A story that has me scratching my head. A story that is bugging me and one that may interest you too.

So, I have a new to me 1500. The first time I went to change the oil in it, I dropped the dipstick on the floor. It shattered in 3 pieces like glass. Don't know why... maybe the way it hit the floor or the plastic got brittle or whatever. It's toast so I ordered one in from Honda. It was on back order for a month.

Well, GLGrezmonki from the forums here was kind enough to lend me a dipstick that he had in an old 1994 1500 motor he had just kicking around. I took it home, sat it on the bench near the broken one and went over to the bike to do something and when I came back something stuck out to me... the dipstick that was loaned to me looked shorter. I put the two side by side and sure enough, the dipstick that WAS in my bike was longer by about 1/4 inch or so.

Scratching my head, I took the loaner stick to the bike and dropped it in the hole to check the oil. Please keep in mind that I put in the exact amount of oil I needed when replacing the oil and filter. I pulled out the stick an surprise surprise... this shorter dipstick was showing me the correct level of oil on it.

So what this means is that if someone was judging the quantity of oil in the engine using the now broken dip stick, it would be reading about a liter LESS oil in it than should have been but telling the user that all was O.K. Filling the engine up to the proper level (by measuring the oil as I did) would say that it was over full. Hmmmm....

So, my new dipstick finally comes in... what size do you think it was??? It was the LONGER one. I made sure I gave the Honda shop the proper year and model. I have simply taken a file and "scratched" the proper "level" on the new dipstick.

It's a moot point though, I am tossing the engine sometime over the winter. I have the dreaded 4 gear problem. I wonder if a potential constant "low oil level" could have been an attributive factor to the demise of this transmission???

Question: How long is your dipstick?

So, you 1500 owners, can you please do me a favor (and the rest of us) and measure your dipstick. I want to see how your stick hold up against mine! hahahaha

Please choose only two answers in the poll - the length and the year.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

A close up....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

It would almost make sense if the shorter one was supposed to be screwed in to check the oil and the longer one just butted in to check the level. What does the manual say for the oil checking procedure?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

My manual says dont screw it in just set it in.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

If you're changing the engine, go with a 95 or newer one. In 95, Honda revised the gear design which eliminated the fourth gear grind. It's likely that both the gear and fork are worn down inside. That really sucks that your gear went bad with only 53k miles on it but its very possible because its a 91. I doubt that over filling the oil a little caused it. This was a design problem that Honda was well aware of hence the reason for the redesign.

Btw, I just swamped the engine out of my 92 with 127k miles just 2 weeks ago, because of the 4th gear problem, with a 98 engine with only 5800 miles on it. Look me up if you need help with the engine swap. I'll give you a few tips that will surely make your life easier. And for god's sake, don't make the mistake of getting an engine from an Interstate which has no reverse gear in it. Verify that it's from an Aspencade or an SE!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

The longer one is missing the o-ring. Makes no difference though...

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I have a dirty mind lmao! Sorry guys.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Jimmy,

My manual say just set it in. I think all manuals say to just sit a dipstick in regardless of the displacement or year (1200 and up).

Kevin, that 4th gear issue is a sickening thing to hear I can tell you that. As mentioned in another post, I am a believer that this was an issue with a heel-toe shifter that was on the bike before I got it. The guy I bought it off of removed it when he got the bike. He never used it. He still had it and wanted to know if I wanted it. I had already agreed to buy the bike when I found that it had one on it. I forgot to ask and couldn't go back on my word. A heel-toe shifter on what was a weak design with what will equate to almost a liter less oil in her... that was the real killer.

Captain, yes... missing the o-ring. The dipstick was fresh out of the package. Honda does not even provide o-rings with them. Cheap $&%$#&!!

Wayne... what can I say??:?

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Wayne,

by the way, the "Thinking with your dipstick" comes from this ad on TV from a few years ago.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/3pcqVQe-4z0[/flash]

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

LMAO!! that was good

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

When I worked in the motorcycle shop the boss used to say, "It's called a dip stick, not a screw stick." That's always stuck with me.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Wayne,

by the way, the "Thinking with your dipstick" comes from this ad on TV from a few years ago.

Tim.
LOL... Ok, does this mean that we should be thinking with our dipsticks and using this brand of oil in our bikes ? I've used this oil for years in all my pic-up trucks and guess it does the job cause I've never had any problems with em.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I run Castrol in mine - the proper motorcycle stuff that is good for a wet clutch system.

Never run an oil that was ment for a car.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Kinda sounds like the shorter one was an oddball. Pehaps the shaft somehow as pushed into the handle. 1/4 " low would not be ery much oil anyway. I'll messure my 90 and see.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

My 90 has the 9.25 stick. there realy seems to be close to split here. Can't judge from your poll what yrs had what lenght
I did fill mine with the requied amout of oil and it showed correct.
One thought is perhaps the interstates had a longer stick as they do not have reverse. So perhaps there are less parts inside the tranny. Not really positve about that but just a thought.
Wilf

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Looking at the parts listings…
88-97 use the same dipstick. Don't know what length it is but they are all the same MN5 number.

The 98-00 use a ZM0 number. As does the Valk.

So…. whatever the length… it's different on the newer models.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.