Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Day 5 - June 28 - had promise, but some rain. Made it to the Kiskatinaw Bridge, longest curved wooden bridge in the world apparently, see attachments. It's on the old Alaska highway just off the main road. We then made it to the Pioneer Village on the outskirt of Dawson Creek. Nice exhibit, reproductions mostly of what was there, schools, churches, barns, homes and such. Good hour for looking.

Doing some laundry and getting ready for tomorrow's journey to the WAC Bennett Dam. Will be staying in Fort St. John.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Nice updates and Great pictures

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for reading. Dry this morning for the start of Day 6 - 29 June. Not going far, about 100 Kms up the highway then west 1 1/2 hours to visit the WAC Bennett dam.

Thought about how to link the photos to text, and my experiment worked - thanks for the comment(s).

I have learned that I need to change the windshield on the 1500, maybe even the 1200. Did my research and browsing of the forums and have settled on the Madstad unit. OEM windshield too tall and craning the neck to see over in inclement weather is not fun.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Day 6 - June 29 - Leaving Dawson Creek for Fort St John and started with no rain, but this didn't last long. We were going to have the wet weather gear on leaving Dawson Creek, but hedged our bets. Wouldn't have hurt Mother Nature to cooperate for once.

Coming into Taylor there is a rather long bridge that is grated for the entire length. Not a pleasant experience so for those coming north and doing the Alaska highway, be it known that this bridge exists.

Drove directly to the WAC Bennett Dam. Started raining just as we got there. We had some time to waste before the tour started so we did a ride over the dam, attachments Bike at Dam and road on dam.

The dam is 9 metres wide at the top, but almost a Km wide at the base, impressive.

The info centre has several exhibits outside the info centre, attachments Outside Centre 2, Outside Centre Conveyor Roller, Water Turbine.

The tour was good with a film to start, bus ride down to the base of the dam and inside the dam structure, no pun intended. The tour guide was very good. First stop was the generator work area that is almost two football fields long, attachment Underground Turbine Work Area.

Left this area to the tailrace area where the water exits the generators and flows back out to the river, attachment Water going out of Dam

Overall impression, quite good, well worth the detour. Asked about the comparison between the Niagara Falls and the WAC Bennett Dam. The Canadian side of the Niagara Falls generating complex has a slightly smaller generating capacity than the WAC Bennet Dam considering the Niagara Falls station was built in the early 1900s. The total generating capacity of the American and Canadian at Niagara Falls is more than twice that of the WAC Bennett Dam.

Left the WAC Bennett Dam under cloudy skies, and headed to Fort St John for the evening, but detoured to have a view of the unpopular Site C Dam. Going to be quite the complex when finished, attachment Site C Dam

Good day all round. Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I visited the Niagara Falls Dam a few years back. Edison employed Tesla in charge of it and did promised him a substantial amount of money when the project would be finished.
On the end he said "it was a joke" and gave him no more money.
Tesla died rich in paper stocks but poor in fact ,in a small apartment in NY.

Good reporting and I hope for sunny days ahead of you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was surprised at the vision of the gents back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Would not be able to get such a project as the Niagara Falls generating complex going today.

Bit of an update for those contemplating coming north. Road between Dawson Creek and Fort St John was quite good as is the road up to Fort Nelson. Not a lot of gas stops but more than enough for those touring. Most GW riders will not have to worry about fuel, even the 1500. Keeping my 1500, with trailer in tow, at 90 to 110 Kms/hr, getting approximately 16 Kms/litre. Pretty good considering elevation and such.

Cheers

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Day 7 - June 30 - started off and ended well. No rain, just a pleasant ride up the highway. Stopped for gas as I mentioned in a previous post and paid $1.61/litre - sort of reminds me of gas prices in Victoria. Stopped for a butt break at what was once a gas station/stop, attachment Old Gas station.

The road is in great shape so no issues there, but it is one lonely road. I've nicknamed it the "Energizer Bunny Route" - keeps going and going and going.........

Got into Fort Nelson about 1400, gassed up, went to visitor centre and the local museum. Fort Nelson was a Hudson Bay post, and over the many years was moved 5 times to where it is now. The now is because of the highway.

The museum has lots of old, interesting stuff. Old cars, bikes, road and farming equipment. Here are a few pics of the museum site, attachments Fort Nelson Museum 2, Fort Nelson Museum 1, Bike Display, Outside Equip Display 3

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Day 8 - 1 July - HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!! :music: :music:

Another gorgeous day in the north of Canada, attachment Fort Nelson

Started off slow, but had a good ride to the North West Territory border, our outing for the day The Liard Highway is another road that keeps going and going and going...... Good road to the border but do not know about the rest to Fort Liard. There is nothing on this road so ride/take it being prepared to either turn around at the border or travel on to Fort Liard. Saw some wildlife, a small black bear, otherwise the signs are not telling the truth. Entering and leaving the NWT, attachments NWT - Made it 1, NWT - Made it 2, Bike at border 3, and Leaving NWT

Came back to Fort Nelson and took some pics for posterity of where you enter Fort Nelson on the highway, attachments FN Marker 2, Selfie Attempt

There is a small park just after you enter Fort Nelson, it's the Millennium Park, attachment Millenium Park - Fort Nelson

Nice little hamlet for an overnight stop. Has a Tim's. Off to Watson Lake tomorrow.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I like "Energizer Bunny" roads especially if no traffic
I guess you're staying at hotel/motel. Did you have advance reservation? Whats the average price per night?
We are doing the hotel/motel regime, too wet outside, no fun camping in the rain. Sonya is keeping tabs on expenses, will post info regarding this. We have advance reservations. We do have camping gear with us just in case there is no room in the inn so to speak.

Traffic is not an issue so far, but as we go north traffic appears to be picking up. Could also be the summer travelers are out and about now.

Cheers

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Day 9 - July 2 - started off with a bit of work. Had to secure the trailer hitch. Had used questionable brackets on install, but thought I had a good enough solution. Turned out the weight wore on the install brackets, so replaced this morning with u-bolts. All is good now. Did find out that the stock 1500 tool kit is not very good, will be rectifying this when I get home. The fellow at the ACE hardware store where I got the parts I needed also loaned me a couple of tools so I would not have to buy, recommend this ACE Hardware in Fort Nelson.

Had another issue, the clutch MC push rod stuck and would not fully release. Could also be some of the internal parts. Caused the clutch to slip. At the next stop, checked the fluid, down a bit, will be topped up. Nothing else out of the ordinary so I worked the lever and the push rod and internals moved full stroke. Will be monitoring this as well, rebuild of the clutch MC and slave when return home.

So much for the maintenance issues.

Day was gorgeous and hot. Ride started well, lovely weather but it did deteriorate, attachment Toad River 1 - Start of Pics
Started clouding over and by the time we got to Muncho Lake it was raining, attachment Mundo Lake
We gassed up at Muncho Lake - $1.90/litre - ouch. Had lunch at Liard hotsprings, attachments Laird Hotsprings for Lunch, Laird Hotsprings for Lunch - 2
We finally got to see some of the wildlife that is on the highway signs, attachments Bison Herd 2, Mountain Sheep
Road conditions were good after Muncho Lake, attachment Leaving BC for the Yukon Territory
The road from Fort Nelson was fair to good, had a lot of chip-seal repairs. This is a more aggressive road repair than just tar-gravel. Can understand why tires need to be replaced.

The road winds in and out of BC-Yukon some six times before dropping back into BC for the turn north to Watson Lake. There is a good BC-Yukon cairn to display this, attachment BC-Yukon Border

Took a pic of Sonya, and while she was hamming it up, noticed a bison about 100 feet behind her. Don't know if I was more surprised seeing the bison, or found her shock and get the heck out of there attitude after I mentioned the bison, attachment Sonya - one foot in BC one foot in Yukon with Bison behind her

The black spec behind her is the bison, attachment A small Bison at the BC-Yukon Border, attachment A small Bison at the BC-Yukon Border.

Part 2 Next

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Day 9 - July 2 - Part 2

Next stop was at Contact Creek for gas and photo op. This is where the north-south crews met during the building of the highway, attachment East and West Construction Meets

Sonya collects a small rock at each new place we stop at, attachment Looking for rocks

This stop has a highway sign indicating cheaper gas than Watson Lake ($1.37/litre), will find out tomorrow.

The rest of the way into Watson Lake was good. We stopped at the 60th parallel, attachment 60th Parallel, and the Yukon and Watson Lake signs, attachments Welcome to Yukon Official Sign and
Yukon-Alaska 2019 - Welcome to Yukon Official Sign and I Watson Lake 1

Hunkered down in Watson Lake for the night. Did a walkabout after dinner. Went to the signpost forest, it's as advertised. Don't miss and bring your sign.

Went to the Norther Lights Centre. Well worth the stop, an hour film on northern lights and how the sun affects us, very cool.

Watson Lake rolls up the sidewalks at about 2100, so expect an early night.

All for now. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Day 10 - July 3 - Watson Lake to Whitehorse dawned great, of course dawn never really came because the sun never really set. It's still pretty good daylight at midnight.

Had a good breakfast, went back to the signpost forest to look for 2 signs, Mom and Dad's from the '70s and Sonya's sister and brother-in-law in the early '90s, attachments Signpost 2, Signpost 1.
No joy so we put our sign up, attachments Putting up sign 1, Signpost 4, Signpost 5.
As I mentioned previously, get and take your sign.

Stopped for coffee and a treat at a rustic restaurant before the continental divide, attachment Continental Divide 1.

While we were there two RVs put diesel instead of gas in their vehicles and there was another coming in from Whitehorse way with a rad leak. The lady at the stop mentioned that nothing could be done for these people before 2000 tonight. She was making excuses for the fuel mix up, but had a look at the pumps and the pumps were well labelled.

Stopped at the divide, attachment Continental Divide 2. This is the west/east divide, there are several others in Canada.

Road construction was ongoing. Most of the construction was where the roads had been resurfaced with tar and gravel and the road is being allowed to set and be groomed by the vehicles using the road. There was only one spot where a pilot truck was used, about 3 Kms. Motorcycles are not given any priority.

Coming into Teslin there is a very long grated bridge, hate grated bridges, attachment Teslin 1. Gas in Teslin was $1.41/litre.

Part 2 to follow.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 84 Posts