Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
I can only say the same, I thoroughly enjoyed your trip, and the 2-way Text and emails of the DeLorme are a definite plus.

I have the SPOT, but it is 1-way only. Even so, it can be configured to provide good info, and a request for help that is not a 911 situation, just a broken down bike, asking for a tow.

Did notice that the Google road views, and satellite images are really out of date.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks to you and Sonya for taking us all on your trip.
Thanks. Love your avatar - white knuckle airline, haven't seen or flown in one of those in a few years.

John- having a SPOT or the Garmin/Delorme variant are, in my mind, essential on a trip like this. I had mentioned in one of my posts that a transport decided to pass going uphill, and when we crested the rise and saw him in our lane, pucker factor went up. All was well, but could have been bad. Don't know what the cell coverage was, but if non-existent, time is not on your side.

Next trip that I report on, I will be using the tracker log function and posting the map so others can see the route progress.

Looking forward to doing another journal, even though it is a challenge to do.

Cheers

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
the SPOT only has 3 canned messages available,
the 1st I use for "Start of Day"
the 2nd I use for "End of Day, all okay"
the 3rd is harder to activate, and I have it set to read" SOS @ GPS loc Call 800947xxxx for M/C transport ID 3208xxx de JTCraig NoCellSVC I am OK need help bike dead"

that is all the characters they allow for it, so it has to be brief, but enough to get you help.

in my case, I have Good Sam Road Assistance w/no towing mileage limits. Knock on wood, have never needed msg #3 and certainly hope that I never need the '911' function unless I find someone injured that does need help.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts