Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of an FYI and wasnt sure where to put this. Some of you may be aware of the Zackabilly trailer balls and know that they were a limited production item from almost 10 years ago. Anyone who has one knows about its benefits. They can help those without swivel hitches towing motorcycle trailers. I bought mine back around 2012 and had it on my 1500. It got transferred over to my 1800. I still have it on my trike even though it's not really needed but I liked it and it is still in excellent shape. It is a stainless steel ball that has a longer thinner neck and allows for more of a lean angle which is important especially for motorcycles. They only did 2 runs and these havent been available for a long time. They were produced at a machining shop after hours just as a hobby but after the 2nd run took a while to sell out, they decided to stop production. On another forum where they were exclusively advertised, there has been a lot of interest in those wanting one. One of members there reached out to the husband and wife team that made them about doing another run. They have tentatively agreed if there is enough interest but cant give a timeline on when they would be able to start production again. A list is being put together of those who are committing to buying one. Another offering that was being sold with the Zackabilly balls was a chain spreader that mounted on the shank of the ball. It helped out with longer chains to keep them off the ground when towing and spread the chains a bit. They are considering starying back up production of those as well. They are planning on keeping the price for trailer ball at $50 and the same for spreader bar. I am not affiliated with this project at all but a satisfied owner of the products. To read more about the initial project, take a look at this page:

Here is a photo of mine.

If you are interested and would like to commit to buying either the trailer ball and/or spreader bar, you would need to post your intentions on this thread over there and they are keeping a running list. This may be the last chance to get one of these:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't mean to disparage the inventor/producer but the price point is what is killing this project when you consider you can get an 1 7/8 hitch ball for less than ten bucks. others may disagree with me but I don't understand why a hitch ball needs to be stainless or even chrome for that matter. all of the hitch tongues for motorcycles are chromed and look like crap in no time, so why make that piece a "bling" ? Stainless not only complicates the manufacture but of course pushes the price point sky high. when the trailer is connected no one sees the hitch ball, and if you aren't towing, take the hitch tongue/ball off your bike. it doesn't need to be pretty. I'd be curious to know what this item would cost made of plain steel. we don't pull enough weight to need a specialty steel for this item. just my two cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts