Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I came out of work tonight to find I had nothing when I turned on my ignition. I had no dash lights, no head or brake lights, absolutely nothing. I have a brand new battery (2-3 months in bike, brand new compufire alternator also 2-3 months in bike). Because I didn't get back home with the bike until around 1am, I couldn't test the battery. I did look at the main fuse and it's intact. I also saw some liquid under my bike, but the bottom of the bike looked dry. Any suggestions I can look at if the battery is still showing good? Thank you in advance for your help.

Steve

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

no way just by looking at it to tell if its good or not. fully charge the battery and load test. If after a full charge you have no lighys check and make sure the ground cable off the battery is clean and tight also do the same with the postive cable

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

You didn't mention if the engine would start or not. There are 2 main fuses by the battery.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is a bad fuse somewhere, if not then it is the ignition switch.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the cover of the fuse/relay box must have a label telling what each fuse or relay controlls. check the one that says Main. theres one that will cut all electrics but wont prevent the bike from starting.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Without any other evidence, my bet is the ignition switch... I had one about ten years ago which did the exact same thing... Good battery; nice charge; stuck in the key and _______ Nothing..... I did a thorough electrical check and everything came up clean... I finally got out my ratchet, unbolted the ig switch and popped off the plastic doo hickey at the base.... The wires are soldered at the base and one of them had eventually worn through.... Looked it was making contact sometimes and not other times... Definitely NOT the kill switch on the handlebars 'cause you'd still have power but no spark... Rule out the battery and the spade fuse and I'll lay ten bucks on the starter switch... Oh yeah...Physically unscrew the spade fuse from the block...Those damn things get "brittle" after awhile and I have seen bunches which develop hairline cracks at the fork ends under the screw heads. Possibility that your spade fuse "looks" good but ain't... Still leaning toward the ig switch, though...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thank you for your suggestions, I didn't mention it, but the bike never started. Nothing at all happened when I turned the key.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

it looks like its the ignition switch, as others say though first check

battery voltage and connections with voltmeter
2 main fuses
earth connection

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

On the 89 1500 it is probably the #3 relay in the relay box just aft of the fuse panel it is the on for the head, tail, instruments and ignition. Switch it with the horn relay to see.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you all for all your help, I pulled 30amp fuse and put it back in. When I turned the key on, I got my dash lights for a moment before they went dull then out altogether. I checked my battery with a volt meter and it was down in the 8s. I recharged the battery and reinstalled it and the bike started right up. I'm letting it sit over night to see if it will start in the morning. I'm thinking when I locked the handles before going to work, that somehow the battery got completely drained. I will have to have the ignition switch checked, see if it's grounding out. I recall it was very hard turning the key to lock the steering that particular day. Thanks again for all your help. Steve

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

On some bikes maybe most the older ones puting them in park locking the handlebars will turn on the park lights too.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

eekjones wrote:
On some bikes maybe most the older ones puting them in park locking the handlebars will turn on the park lights too.
Isn't that for the first lock position with the second lock position with no lights on?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I think you're right but it is easy to get the wrong on especially in the daytime. How do I know? I'm still tired from pushing the %$$##@% thing and that was several years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.