Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright, so my gl1200a 85 interstate engine seized because it was starved for oil. Here's the sad story. Bike won't start after using engine to climb 45...

I want to try to knock it loose before I write the engine off as a boat anchor.

I have tried:
1. Starter with no plugs in
2. High gear pushing and letting off the clutch
3. Spraying in a little normal engine oil with a straw

Won't turn.

How can I access the crankshaft bolt to attempt to turn the engine?

What are some other tricks?

What are my options?

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Alright, where do I get to the crankshaft bolt? Been trying to do some searches but not getting real specific info.
It's behind the front timing belt covers, right behind the seam between the covers, dead center. It is a right hand thread.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
479 Posts
No need to completely remove the radiator. I changed my timing belts on my 85 by removing the lower hose, mounting bolts and pulling the rad away. Of course you have to remove all the lower plastic first.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Take off the fron timing covers. The crank bolt has both belts surrounding it.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Drain the oil in a very clean pan. Pour almost all of it out of the pan. Look for metal flakes like crazy. If they are present things are not good. Sorry. 😕

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,507 Posts
I doubt you have a seized motor. Battery or starter maybe.

The crankshaft bolt is under the timing belt covers on the front of the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I suspect the angle coming up the stairs was too great and all the oil ran away from the pick up. The engine would be running with no oil pressure, If the oil looks like gold metal flake that is bearing and probably rod bearing or main bearing. Debris can also be burned black in color but usually has gold flecks and lots of them. The oil pick up screen is in the front of the engine while all the oil would be in the rear if the bike came up forward, Too bad you didn't pull it up backwards or winch it straight up. Lots of engines around for $300 or so pretty complete.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, if I can't get the engine to turn then I'm looking at a new engine. Hard part seems to be actually lifting the thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 85 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Interstatate. I did a bunch of work in my basement, down 7 or 8 stairs, then used ratcheting tie-downs, the engine, and some muscle to get it up the stairs.

In the middle of the process, the bike got pretty hot, like 85% of the temp gauge, but into the red.

Then the battery quit turning the engine over and we had to muscle it up.

Now its up the stairs and the battery has sat on a tender all night and is testing with the multimeter at 12.9. When I attempt to crank the engine it drops to 8.5, but the engine won't turn over at all. The battery is new but it's one of those crappy ones you fill yourself.

I had given it all new oil and didn't let it run for more than a minute until I attempted the stairs (it was in my basement).

Could I have seized the engine?
I would look at the battery first. You Should read 13.5 volts on the battery, and it should not drop very much at all when starting. Sounds To me like you need a battery. The Battery can show 12 volts and not have any amperage to it. TRY A load meter on the battery.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,203 Posts
Normal engine rotation is counter-clockwise, as you sit on the bike. So turning the front engine screw clockwise as you look at it is correct. Yes.

It would appear what you did was starve the oil pump, (which is at the front of the motor) for an extended period of time. I once saw my oil light come on while sitting on a 30 degree hill in N Carolina, those 45 degree stairs where just to much for it coupled with the amount of horse power you where trying through it at the time.

As for the praying part, good luck with that, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have aluminum pieces in the oil, and it won't rotate. It's definitely fried.

I ordered a new engine which came, and I've got the old one about halfway off.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I have aluminum pieces in the oil, and it won't rotate. It's definitely fried.

I ordered a new engine which came, and I've got the old one about halfway off.
Bet you have all kinds of metals and colors, huh? Gold, black and silver to name a few???? Glad you are getting things going again. :rolleyes:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts