Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
That thread almost went side ways, but the OP, shut it down fast.

.a lot of CRC 2-26 would probably take care of the water issues

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
651 Posts
He shut it down, but he never came back either,... Which means they may have been right about the issues he was going to have with a flood-drowned bike. ;)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
I would still go for it.

Unless insurance would pay for it

·
Retired Nuclear Engineer
2006 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
10 Posts
I had this same issue on my 2006 1800 Navi. I ordered a couple of the $100 versions from overseas that were supposed to be an exact match. For the most part, they were in that they worked; all the pixels were back. The problem was that the backlight was not nearly as bright as the Honda OEM screen. My solution was to remove the backlight from the OEM Honda screen (which is still good; it's the LCD screen that's going bad) and install it in the $100 screen. The result was that I got all my pixels back and the screen was as bright as ever. Changing out the backlight is somewhat delicate, but not impossible if you're careful. If you can successfully follow the directions from the previous post on how to remove and replace the entire screen, you should be able to change out the backlight. I'd be happy to help more if you want to go that route.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
Okay, found some in the USA

$118.00 cheapest so far

this one has the wrong picture?
This is the one I used to replace the one in my 07. It has been over 3 years since I replaced mine and it still works perfectly. I think I paid about $125 for it when I bought it, and it took me around a hour to install it. It is the exact same brand and part number of the factory one I removed. I ordered mine from Ali-Express. A whole lot cheaper than what mother Honda wants.

Gene

Reactions: RandyWharton

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
This is the one I used to replace the one in my 07. It has been over 3 years since I replaced mine and it still works perfectly. I think I paid about $125 for it when I bought it, and it took me around a hour to install it. It is the exact same brand and part number of the factory one I removed. I ordered mine from Ali-Express. A whole lot cheaper than what mother Honda wants.

Gene

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't buy from Tannin Auto Electronics. I ordered a screen that turned out to be faulty. It blew two logic boards and they would not warrantee the screen or reimburse me for blown logic boards which are unobtainable. Just a warning.

·
Nodnocdar
30 Posts
It is an excellent price. ($100). But don't you think there might be a catch? Reduced from $4,000.00 it makes me think!
Thanks for your note.
:0)
The old adage if it's too good to be true..... does Not always apply to direct buys from China. However the buyer should be aware of scams. On the other hand I buy parts for my Kubota tractor and compare the prices to USA suppliers vs China. The expected difference is about 9 to 1. For example a new ignition switch from China is $15 and the exact same switch from Kubota in USA is $135 retail. The biggest down side of the deal is the delivery from China can take 6 weeks. I suspect the reduction in screen price is about correct. The parts from China however probably do not have the QC step prior to selling however at the price I can buy 2 switches and be far ahead with spare. Electronic parts in particular are a super deal. I needed a capacitor for a power supply and the USA price was $12.00. The same part from China came in a package of 5 and the total price with shipping was $2.39. If I had your problem I would buy 2 screens from China, ~$300. I would install one of the screens and try it until I was convinced it was ok, a 48 hour run in test time should be sufficient. Then put the spare on E bay. Usually I get more from the bids on E bay than I paid for the original duplicate order.

·
Pwhoever
3,256 Posts
The old adage if it's too good to be true..... does Not always apply to direct buys from China. However the buyer should be aware of scams. On the other hand I buy parts for my Kubota tractor and compare the prices to USA suppliers vs China. The expected difference is about 9 to 1. For example a new ignition switch from China is $15 and the exact same switch from Kubota in USA is $135 retail. The biggest down side of the deal is the delivery from China can take 6 weeks. I suspect the reduction in screen price is about correct. The parts from China however probably do not have the QC step prior to selling however at the price I can buy 2 switches and be far ahead with spare. Electronic parts in particular are a super deal. I needed a capacitor for a power supply and the USA price was $12.00. The same part from China came in a package of 5 and the total price with shipping was $2.39. If I had your problem I would buy 2 screens from China, ~$300. I would install one of the screens and try it until I was convinced it was ok, a 48 hour run in test time should be sufficient. Then put the spare on E bay. Usually I get more from the bids on E bay than I paid for the original duplicate order.
FFS people! Can you not read what was posted??? Honda will only sell the entire navigation assembly and that explains the high price for the OEM part. It is the screen, the circuit board, and the frame to hold it all together.

Honda description does say LCD screen but it is much more than just that. Honda then gets the $1500-4000 for that part. 99.9% of the time, it is only the screen that has a problem.

The model number for the individual screen has been identified and can be purchased separately from outside vendors, just not from Honda. Buy the screen for considerably less and then you are back in business.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
IF,
anyone looks at the parts description on Partzilla/Honda dealers, it plainly shows the LCD screen is an assembly, not just the faceplate/screen itself.

I agree to use Ali-Express, buy two, sell one after the new replacement is shown to work long enough you know it will be good.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
FFS people! Can you not read what was posted??? Honda will only sell the entire navigation assembly and that explains the high price for the OEM part. It is the screen, the circuit board, and the frame to hold it all together.

Honda description does say LCD screen but it is much more than just that. Honda then gets the $1500-4000 for that part. 99.9% of the time, it is only the screen that has a problem.

The model number for the individual screen has been identified and can be purchased separately from outside vendors, just not from Honda. Buy the screen for considerably less and then you are back in business.
Mike you are 100% Correct. I have replaced over a half dozen of these screens myself. Some get more pixelated than others.
Some grey'd areas aren't a issue for some riders.
Others are as annoying as hell.

From Honda you get the whole screen assembly.

That is the only way HONDA sells them.

The Reason is "HONDA only buys Assemblies from vendors!!!"
Not individual pieces.

I tell people pretty much the same.

I showed you how to save money for the same result.

"What's in your Wallet" Do it your way then! - it's your money. LOL

FYI- everyone!
Honda uses the very same Screen in many of there Honda & Acura cars.

BTW - the oldest unit I installed happens to be a riding buddies bike. (6-7 years later and no issues)

·
Administrator
27,006 Posts
FYI- everyone!
Honda uses the very same Screen in many of there Honda & Acura cars.
And they don't seem to have that problem because direct sunlight never reaches the screen. At least I never saw one go bad and I was a Honda tech until 2015.

Reactions: RedWinger

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
And they don't seem to have that problem because direct sunlight never reaches the screen. At least I never saw one go bad and I was a Honda tech until 2015.
Very true.
I seen people who shove a foam block on top of the screen when they walk away from the bike on a hot day.
I asked one guy (Why not use a micro fiber towel?) He said I did - the wind blew it off. (Good point)

Reminded me of the 1500 shield melting the clear dash lens.(Because of its angle)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
I hang my jacket over the windscreen and handlebars just for that very reason.
I never allow the sun to shine on the screen if the bike is parked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same issue on my 2006 1800 Navi. I ordered a couple of the $100 versions from overseas that were supposed to be an exact match. For the most part, they were in that they worked; all the pixels were back. The problem was that the backlight was not nearly as bright as the Honda OEM screen. My solution was to remove the backlight from the OEM Honda screen (which is still good; it's the LCD screen that's going bad) and install it in the $100 screen. The result was that I got all my pixels back and the screen was as bright as ever. Changing out the backlight is somewhat delicate, but not impossible if you're careful. If you can successfully follow the directions from the previous post on how to remove and replace the entire screen, you should be able to change out the backlight. I'd be happy to help more if you want to go that route.
Does the backlight you're referring to show up in the pdf instruction posted above? How will I know what it is that I need to move from my faulty OEM screen to ensure I have a bright screen when I swap it out?

I just submitted the order on AliExpress. It won't be here for about three weeks. Price is now $90 plus about $25 shipping and tax.

The link in the pdf is no longer good, but I searched the site and this appears to be the newest link: CLICK HERE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the backlight you're referring to show up in the pdf instruction posted above? How will I know what it is that I need to move from my faulty OEM screen to ensure I have a bright screen when I swap it out?

I just submitted the order on AliExpress. It won't be here for about three weeks. Price is now $90 plus about $25 shipping and tax.

The link in the pdf is no longer good, but I searched the site and this appears to be the newest link: CLICK HERE
Hello Mike, I have the same issues with my LCD screen on a 2012 Goldwing. I used the link you provided here and saw the listing with pictures for the LCD screen, but I was wondering do all models of the Goldwing use the same size LCD screen? If so, this LCD screen should work, correct?

Danny

·
Pwhoever
3,256 Posts
If youbhave a
Hello Mike, I have the same issues with my LCD screen on a 2012 Goldwing. I used the link you provided here and saw the listing with pictures for the LCD screen, but I was wondering do all models of the Goldwing use the same size LCD screen? If so, this LCD screen should work, correct?

Danny
If you have a Navi from 2006-2017, this screen will work. If you have a non navi one with the smaller screen, it will not work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If youbhave a

If you have a Navi from 2006-2017, this screen will work. If you have a non navi one with the smaller screen, it will not work.
Mike, I have the Navi model of Goldwing, but didn't know if the earlier models had the same size screen and electronical connectors as the 2012. I will use your provided link to order one for my bike. Thanks for the quick response.
Danny

·
Retired Nuclear Engineer
2006 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
10 Posts

Sorry for the delay in replying. The backlight is not in any instructions I have ever seen. Being a former AF avionics tech, I'm not afraid to tear into things, so that's how I embarked on swapping out the back light. I do have an extra LCD screen, so I'll try to put together a PDF how-to in the next few days to help out. So keep your eyes out for it to show up!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
super,
all of us would appreciate that.

and buying one of the screens up front, at the low price now, to have on hand, would be good insurance.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts